cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a backup job with a RALUS client

Patrick_Fish
Level 2
Hi,

We have a Windows 2k3 server running Backup Exec 10d. We have been using this for several months with no problems backing up other Windows machines.

I've been assigned to start backups on a selection of our Solaris servers, and I went ahead and installed the RALUS daemon and it is running with no problems.

I checked the ralus.cfg and made sure our server was in there, along with discovery settings for 5mins until I get things worked out.

The daemon is running, and it says it's advertising to our file server..

Now, I'd like to get a backup setup for this machine, but it doesn't show up anywhere in the Windows GUI. I used the user defined selection and added the servers IP, but now I'm getting an error saying the login account could not access the Solaris server. I'm prompted with our logins, and I made a "root" login inside Backup exec, with the root password, and it still reports it doesn't have access.

Here's what the beremote console is giving me:

4 Thu Jan 4 15:43:59 2007 : NrdsAdvertiserThread: advertisement cycle complete. Waiting 5 minutes before advertising again.
5 Thu Jan 4 15:44:03 2007 : NrdsAdvertiserThread: negative (purge) advertisement cycle started.
5 Thu Jan 4 15:44:03 2007 : NrdsAdvertiserThread: no purge is pending.
5 Thu Jan 4 15:44:03 2007 : NrdsAdvertiserThread: negative (purge) advertisement cycle complete. W aiting 5 minutes before advertising again.
2 Thu Jan 4 15:45:15 2007 : Control connection accepted : connection established between end-points :10000 and :3862
a Thu Jan 4 15:45:15 2007 : @@@@@@@MyCloseSocket called with sockfd = 5(0x5) retval = 0
a Thu Jan 4 15:45:15 2007 : @@@@@@@MyCloseSocket called with sockfd = -1(0xffffffff) retval = -1

Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Patrick

What Solaris version are you using? RALUS 10d only supports Solaris 8 and 9 on SPARC.

Are you complying with this?

Patrick_Fish
Level 2
David,

Yes. We are using Solaris 9 on a SPARC machine.

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
OK, it is supported... Is there a firewall between the media server and the Solaris server?

Patrick_Fish
Level 2
No.

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Patrick

Try reinstalling the agent on the Solaris server, under the root account. Really strange, RALUS usually works fine on supported environments.

Patrick_Fish
Level 2
I'll try a reinstall when I go back to work on Monday. I installed the agent manually, with no problems. It does run correctly, and listens on 10000/tcp. I ran beagent with -log-console and confirmed it was advertising itself to the file server. There is an established TCP connection when I enter a user-defined entry using the Solaris servers IP, however it tells me it could not access the Solaris box. I tried using the root login, but still didn't work.

From what I understand, the windows client should have a section called "Linux/Unix" that I should be able to expand.