cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadow Copy Componets backup is huge

Pavel_Novikov
Level 3
Hello,

I backup Shadow Copy Componets of a remote Windows 2003 Server, which is not an AD controller.

The log in BE shows that it takes about 22GB! This cannot be real. The system disk is only 33GB and 29GB is free according Windows. So I believe there is a problem and I'd like to have a clue where it is.

See my next post cause I decided to install SP3 and I could not do it.
5 REPLIES 5

Pavel_Novikov
Level 3
Well, I updated Backup Exec with SP3, but it didn't help me. Yesterday, the size of Shadow Copy Components reached 35Gb. Interesting that when I do test run it shows the figures which I think right.

Does anybody else have the same issue?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Does the backup job succeed? Are you backing up only the system state? If not, what other application are running on the server in question?

You can try a backup of any other Windows 2003 server and verify if the same output is received.

Do revert with details so as to better analyse the issue.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Pavel_Novikov
Level 3
Hello,

The answers to your questions are:

Yes, backup job finished successfully, just it took 2,5 hours to put it on DAT72 and consumed time frame for other jobs.

I make backup of four Windows 2003 Servers including server in question. The problem appears only with this server.

In a job I backup disk C and Shadow Components only. The only major application is MS SQL Server. The databases of MS SQL located on disk D. This server is remote to the server with a tape, so I use agents.

I also have another server with MS SQL there and I have no problem with it.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please try repairing the database and verify the results. Refer the following technote.
Title:
How to run a Backup Exec database repair when the original Backup Exec database is found to be inconsistent
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Pavel_Novikov
Level 3
Hello,

This worked for me. Thank you