cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadow Copy fails

Kaushal_Dahanay
Level 2
My customer site has 3 win2003 svrs running Win 2003 Std edition. Main svr has BE9.1. The other two svrs have BE RA32 loaded. Recently all 3 svrs were patched with SP1. Since then the backup reports errors during backup.
The backup job has the shadow copy (SC) option selected on all three servers. But the error happens only on the main svr where BE is installed. The error is:

FO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
OFO: Snapshot error (0x8007000e): Ran out of memory

I installed both patches listed below:
Veritas V9.1 SP2 - be4691RSP2_275247.exe
Remote agent - be4691RHF50_276543.exe
Both were installed on the main svr. I then ran the RA installation again on the two other svrs inorder to update the RAs. (is this the correct procedure?)

the above procedures have not fixed the problem. I am still unable to enable SC options on the main server. I have disabled SC items on the main svr as a temp measure.
Pls advise what to do.
3 REPLIES 3

Nishant_desai
Level 4
Hi Kaushal,
I want u to try out few things

1)Try creating a new selection list and see if you are able to select the SC option because if you are using old selection list there might be some problem as you have applied the service packs and the patches.

2)If you are still not able to select it then check if ntbackup is working for the main Win2k3 machine to backup the system state because 2003 uses VSS for backing up the system state so that we can isolate the issue.

3)Microsoft has acknowledged this as a memory leak in the code of the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)
Backup Infrastructure and there is a hotfix provided for the same.

please refer to the following technote

http://support.veritas.com/docs/263139

4)There is another hotfix by microsoft you can go ahead with that as well ,the link is

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833167

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Kaushal_Dahanay
Level 2
Hi Nishant,
Thank you for replying to my question. I have already tried step 1 and it fails. I will attempt step 2 today.. Steps 3 and 4 applies only to windows 2003 systems pre SP1. The servers are running SP1.
Regards

Kaushal_Dahanay
Level 2
The problem is now fixed. It was fixed by correcting another issue I had with the server since it was patched with SP2. The issue was whenever the server was busy, users running SQL or backup run ning the server disconnects itself and logs an EVENT ID 2020. After researching I found the information at the following location:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312362

Since the registry hanges the server is now not disconnecting from the network and I am now able to select and run the backup with VSC components selected on the local Server.

Thank you.