cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous B2D & speed question

Arjan_van_Doorn
Level 4
We have started with BE10 in our production environment.
But now I have a urgent question:

What can I do better with backup to disk folders: make one folder and allow 4 concurrent operations or make a devicepool with 4 b2d folders with one concurrent operation? (4 is an example, I'm doubting about the quantity, which depends on bandwith etc)
After a Full backup2disk i duplicate to tape, our tape library got 2 Ultrium drives.

And can you tell me the theoretical maximum speed and the known average speed for b2d via a (our) network?;

Our servers are all equipped with 1Gb network cards and the backbone itself is 2Gb, the central backupserver got 2x 1Gb cards teamed.

(We have off course a switched network in which the bottle neck is the network card speed)

For your information:
Yesterday I backupped 1 server to disk (1 operation at a time allowed) at a quiet time and the average speed was 406 MB/min shouldn't it be higher? (total time for the server was 2:20:00. From B2D folder to tape it took 0:20:00 )

Regards,
Arjan
1 REPLY 1

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Number of concurrent job can be run, but they should be targeted to the
different Backup to Disk folder. If the number of Backup jobs are fired to
the same B2D folder then only one job can be run at a time, remaining will
be queued untill the last Backup job finishes. Ensure that you have
targeted Backup jobs to different B2D folder.
However, you can create multiple backup-to-disk folders . You can create Drive pool. Add backup-to-disk folders in the drive pool. Create multiple backup jobs and then use newly created Drive pool as a destination for all the jobs. A backup job will use one available backup-to-disk folder at a time. When no backup-to-disk folder is available then job will go into queued status.

Theoretical maximum speed is completely depend on your network environment.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.