cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Hyper V Cluster backups after upgrading to Backup Exec 2012 from Backup Exec 2010 R2

Chalie_Richards
Level 2

I just wanted to put this out here to maybe see if anyone else has had the same issue, I have opened a case with Symantec and to say the least, they have been unhelpful. I was using Backup Exec 2010 R2 backup up my Hyper V Cluster on an EqualLogic PS6000XV array, the array has the 5.1.2 firmware and the 4.0 HIT kit on it and has for several months. The backups with Backup Exec 2010 R2 were running great, they were using the EqualLogic VSS writer and I was getting good throughput, when I upgraded to Backup Exec 2012 the same backups are now running at 260 mb a min. (slow to say the least), I can tell Symantec Backup Exec 2012 to use the Microsoft VSS writer and the speed picks up, but it puts my CSV in redirected mode until the backup completes wich to say the least is not optimal. Symantec pretty much says to use the Microsoft VSS writer, but again it was working fine with 2010 R2. Any ideas, if not I need to revert and if anyone could shoot me a link to reverting back to 2010 R2 that would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chalie_Richards
Level 2

Unfortunatly I had to restore my catalogs and data folder from backup and revert back to Backup Exec 2010, I opened a case with Symantec and Dell EqualLogic and was unable to resolve the speed issue so reverting was the only other option.  I pushed the issue to my regional Dell EqualLogic manager to hopefully get him to work with Symantec on it but untill then I guess its Backup Exec 2010 R2.  The only thing I did not do is upgrade the Firmware on my EqualLogic SAN to 5.2.1, EqualLogic didn't seem to think it would fix the issue since most of the enhancements were the new 10GB controller for the 4100 series and some other minor enhancements, but possibly give that a try before reverting.  Below are the steps to revert to you the previous version of Backup Exec

1. Redirect Restore the Data and Catalogs folder from a backup that was run before the upgrade to 2012 to your desktop.

(If you do not have this information then you will have to remake your catalogs by performing Catalog jobs of your media after you setup Backup Exec 2010 with the database located in the "Data_backup_[DATE]" folder that is located in the installation directory of Backup Exec.)

2. Once successfully restored, uninstall Backup Exec 2012 through Program Features.

3. Install Backup Exec 2010 and Run LiveUpdate to get Service Pack 2 and 2+ hotfixes installed. If possible update Backup Exec to the service pack and hotfix level that it was at before the upgrade.

4. After installation Stop all BE services

5. Rename the Catalogs folder in the installation directory of Backup Exec (eg. C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec) to Catalogs_old.

6. Copy the Catalogs folder from the desktop in the installation directory of Backup Exec.

7. Copy the bedb.bak file in the Data folder that was restored on your desktop into the Data folder in the installation directory.

8. Open beutility.exe from the installation directory of Backup Exec.

9. Click on All Media Servers > Right Click on the Media Server's Name > Recover Database

10. Choose the Reload from backup option button. > Click ok

11. When the services start up open backup exec to ensure information is displayed properly. If you have any issues let me know and we can see about getting them fixed.

If you do not have a Backup of the Data and Catalogs folder from before the 2012 upgrade then the only option is to recreate your catalogs and perform the steps below:

1. Copy the "Data_[DATE]" folder from the installation directory of Backup Exec (eg. C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec) to your desktop.
2. Uninstall Backup Exec 2012 through Program Features.

3. Install Backup Exec and Run LiveUpdate to get Backup Exec to the version it was before the upgrade.

3. After installation Stop all BE services

4. Copy the bedb_dat.mdf, and bedb_log.ldf files from the installation directory of Backup Exec to the desktop

5. Open beutility.exe from the installation directory of backup exec.

6. Click on All Media Servers > Right Click on the Media Server's Name > Copy Database...
7. Click the Browse button for the Database File and browse to the Data_[DATE] folder on the desktop > Select the bedb_dat.mdf file.

8. Click the Browse button for the log file and browse to the Data_[DATE] folder on the desktop > Select the bedb_log.ldf file. > Click ok

9. When the services start up successfully Open the Backup Exec console to see your job information from before the upgrade.

10. Run Catalog jobs on all your media to recreate your Catalogs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you have backups of the Data/Catalogs folders prior to your upgrade it would simply be a case of uninstalling BE 2012, reinstalling BE 2010 R2 (I'd then recommend upgrading to R3 with SP2 and all of the subsequent patches!), and copying those folders across.

If you don't have a copy, it's going to be a case of uninstalling BE 2012, installing BE 2010 R2 with your patches, and then having to recreate jobs and recatalog your media.

Thanks!

CraigCorefleet
Level 3

Hi Chalie

I am experiencing exactly the same issue.

I have tried to run the backup with GRT ON and OFF but no difference.

The very first time I ran the backup I had 4000MB/m but then next time it slowed and I have not been able to get it back on speed.

Have you managed to find a solution at all

Thanks Craig

Chalie_Richards
Level 2

Unfortunatly I had to restore my catalogs and data folder from backup and revert back to Backup Exec 2010, I opened a case with Symantec and Dell EqualLogic and was unable to resolve the speed issue so reverting was the only other option.  I pushed the issue to my regional Dell EqualLogic manager to hopefully get him to work with Symantec on it but untill then I guess its Backup Exec 2010 R2.  The only thing I did not do is upgrade the Firmware on my EqualLogic SAN to 5.2.1, EqualLogic didn't seem to think it would fix the issue since most of the enhancements were the new 10GB controller for the 4100 series and some other minor enhancements, but possibly give that a try before reverting.  Below are the steps to revert to you the previous version of Backup Exec

1. Redirect Restore the Data and Catalogs folder from a backup that was run before the upgrade to 2012 to your desktop.

(If you do not have this information then you will have to remake your catalogs by performing Catalog jobs of your media after you setup Backup Exec 2010 with the database located in the "Data_backup_[DATE]" folder that is located in the installation directory of Backup Exec.)

2. Once successfully restored, uninstall Backup Exec 2012 through Program Features.

3. Install Backup Exec 2010 and Run LiveUpdate to get Service Pack 2 and 2+ hotfixes installed. If possible update Backup Exec to the service pack and hotfix level that it was at before the upgrade.

4. After installation Stop all BE services

5. Rename the Catalogs folder in the installation directory of Backup Exec (eg. C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec) to Catalogs_old.

6. Copy the Catalogs folder from the desktop in the installation directory of Backup Exec.

7. Copy the bedb.bak file in the Data folder that was restored on your desktop into the Data folder in the installation directory.

8. Open beutility.exe from the installation directory of Backup Exec.

9. Click on All Media Servers > Right Click on the Media Server's Name > Recover Database

10. Choose the Reload from backup option button. > Click ok

11. When the services start up open backup exec to ensure information is displayed properly. If you have any issues let me know and we can see about getting them fixed.

If you do not have a Backup of the Data and Catalogs folder from before the 2012 upgrade then the only option is to recreate your catalogs and perform the steps below:

1. Copy the "Data_[DATE]" folder from the installation directory of Backup Exec (eg. C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec) to your desktop.
2. Uninstall Backup Exec 2012 through Program Features.

3. Install Backup Exec and Run LiveUpdate to get Backup Exec to the version it was before the upgrade.

3. After installation Stop all BE services

4. Copy the bedb_dat.mdf, and bedb_log.ldf files from the installation directory of Backup Exec to the desktop

5. Open beutility.exe from the installation directory of backup exec.

6. Click on All Media Servers > Right Click on the Media Server's Name > Copy Database...
7. Click the Browse button for the Database File and browse to the Data_[DATE] folder on the desktop > Select the bedb_dat.mdf file.

8. Click the Browse button for the log file and browse to the Data_[DATE] folder on the desktop > Select the bedb_log.ldf file. > Click ok

9. When the services start up successfully Open the Backup Exec console to see your job information from before the upgrade.

10. Run Catalog jobs on all your media to recreate your Catalogs.