cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow backup with BE10d

Kyle_Tripp
Level 2
I currently have a single server environment. The server runs Windows 2003 SP1 with Exchange 2003 SP2. It also has Ninja from Sunbelt Software installed to help control SPAM. We are running Backup Exec 10d.

It takes roughly 16 hours to backup 42GB of data.

I also manage two other environements where the backup times considerably different.

In the first, it takes 17mins to backup 20GB of data. In the second, it takes 14 hours to backup 192GB of data. The only difference between these on and the first environment is that the backup server is not part if the backup set.

Any suggestions will be appreciates.
3 REPLIES 3

Nicolas_Fahr
Level 3
What happens if you disable some services, such as virus scanner or the Sunbelt Software (I don't know that one)? Have you looked at the task manager?

Kyle_Tripp
Level 2
as a followup...I have a central faxing solution at the location with the faster backups. I know with the software that if Outlook is installed, it will interfer with the faxes being delivered to mailboxes on Exchange.

If BE uses MAPI to access the mailboxes during backup, will the installation of Outlook at that server have any effect?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you look at the job log(s), are all of the job steps slow, or only one or two

Are you doing Brick Level (Mailbox) backups?

If you just copy a large block of data to the media server, does that run fast or slow?Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam