cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow restore performance

Al_Cohen
Level 2
We have a newly staged Windows 2000 server which is intended to be used for immediate disaster recovery. Though in the same NT domain, this server uses a different name from the production server and the local backup operator account is different on each server too. Otherwise, the servers are configured alike. Both servers are used for an application which utilizes a local Oracle database instance and both servers are using Backup Exec 9.1 with the Oracle agent installed. Can you tell me what is the best method for restoring files backed up on server A to server B? Our preliminary testing has shown a significantly degraded restore rate when attempting to restore server A data to server B. We have already ruled out environmental factors and have successfully restored locally backed up data on server B at a much higher job rate.
4 REPLIES 4

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
It seems you have tested "Re-direct" restore of server A to server B and it was very slow. Is that correct?

Make sure oracle agent is updated.
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 8.6/9.0/9.1 for Windows Servers (all revisions) Agent for Oracle Servers 5.026
http://support.veritas.com/docs/261013

As there are two media servers why dont you localy catalog the tape of server A on server B and try to restore.

Run the SGMON next time you try restore so that one trace any bottleneck.

Al_Cohen
Level 2
Yes, we have set the redirection in the restore properties and we do also have the latest version of the Oracle Agent. I had locally cataloged the backup media on server B before attempting the restore. I'll try the SGMON next, thanks.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply