cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow restore to Mac OS 10 workstations

Andrew_Peach_2
Level 2
I'm hoping someone else has seen and fixed this problem. Tech support seemed to be stumped so I thought I'd try here while I wait for them to call me back.
I'm backing up to LTO3 on a Windows XP Pro machine running Veritas 9.1 across a gigibit network.

When I backup or restore to/from my windows 2003 servers, I consistently get 1600 Mb/min.
When I backup a Mac OS 10 workstation, I get 900 Mb/min.
When I restore to a Mac OS 10 workstation, I get between 3 and 20 Mb/min depending on the speed of the G4/G5.

The macs are running OS 10.3 and OS 10.4.2. OS version doesn't appear to make much difference.
I have huge amounts of large audio files to restore so obviously this isn't going to fly. Is anyone else having a similar experience?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Andrew Peach
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In my experience, restores process about a factor of 10 slower than backups, so I'd expect restores at about 90MB/min, but 20 is ridiculous

Just for grins, can you do a redirected restore to the media server (or one of the windows servers) and then time a network copy to one of the OSX boxes?

Andrew_Peach_2
Level 2
Thanks for the input Ken. I see where you are going with this but I don't think the network speed is the issue.
I restored to the w2k3 server and it ran at about 1600 mb/min.
Then I copied from the w2k3 server back to the mac and it ran at about 1000 mb/min.
Everything is working at a respectable speed apart from the mac agent.
BTW, the veritas tech just emailed me with the same suggestion :)
Andy Peach

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
So what you have done pinpoints the MAC agent as the problem

Now you have to convince Symantec that it's their problem and get them to provide a fix

Good Luck!!