cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapshot Technology

CharlesMetal
Level 3

Hello All,

If I uncheck the snapshot technology on backup exec 2012 what am I losing by unchecking that?  It seems to run better without it.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You don't have to use AOF if you are backing up databases, like Exchange and SQL Server databases.  In fact, you should not use AOF when backing up databases.

However, you would need AOF if you are backing up files.  Otherwise, any opened files would not be backed up and you would get either a corrupt file or a file not accessible error message.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

If you don't need to use AOFO you can aren't losing anything. Snapshot technology is used to capture open files. see http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74340 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You don't have to use AOF if you are backing up databases, like Exchange and SQL Server databases.  In fact, you should not use AOF when backing up databases.

However, you would need AOF if you are backing up files.  Otherwise, any opened files would not be backed up and you would get either a corrupt file or a file not accessible error message.

CharlesMetal
Level 3

Thanks Guys this is awesome information!

I have tried it and you are exactly right!  Now my exchange is not failiing...this is a great solution for a ongoing problem.

Thanks again!!!