cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapshot processing taking too long

karol_urbaniak
Level 3

Hi,

recently one of my server have trouble with backup. Every time when backup start SNAPSHOT PROCESSING is taking more then one hour.

I have checked various thing and none of them helped:

- Backup Exec 2012 is up to date. Latest patches are installed,

- VSS on server which is being backuped is running well, no error and warnings in event viewer, providers are listes and service is in manual. It is started when backup start,

- no problems with network,

- I have created a new job (C: drive and System State) with no AOFO option enabled and again SNAPSHOT PROCESSING took very long

- reinstallation of Remote Agent doesn't helped

- of course I have restarted the remote server.

Any other idea? Pls help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

karol_urbaniak
Level 3

Problem fixed. How?

- register once again VSS in the system,

- I have noticed that someone have saved event viewer log files locally on disk. Plenty of files which in total contains 500GB of data were also compress by using  attribute in the file system. I have zipped the files by external application and remove compress attribute.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is there any shadow copy limit set ? If yes, remove it.

Any event related to VSS logged in the event viewer ? (Doesn't have to be an error, can be an critical or information as well) Look under Application & System logs specifically.

Lastly, do ensure AOFO is enabled in the backup job and is set to use the default microsoft vss provider.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

karol_urbaniak
Level 3

To ZeRoCOOL: Yes, I have checked according to Veritas suggestions. Nothing special was found in VSS debugging.

I have checked all options with enabled and disabled AOFO including with setting VSS provider as a default.

I have tried to backup on different media (disk and LTO3).

All the time Snapshoot Processing took 1 hour before each disk so it gaves additional 4 hours for backup !!

karol_urbaniak
Level 3

One more is strange for me. Why it take so long even if I disable AOFO?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

How much free disk space do you have in your datastore/s?

Are there any snapshots still waiting to be deleted?

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Disable the shadow copy component and then enable it again. Remove any disk space limit

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i think first of all you should upgrade to BE 2014 or 15 ,if it is possible install a trial of BE15 and test that server again.

karol_urbaniak
Level 3

To CraigV:

How much free disk space do you have in your datastore/s?

I don't know whether I follow you. Could you explain me this ? BackupExec server db is deleted with interval.

Are there any snapshots still waiting to be deleted?

I have deleted them by command 'vssadmin delete shadows /all' and I will test it Today evening.

To pkh:

I have restarted server many times so it means that shadow was restarted also. No disk space limit.

To mgmasterv2:

Currently no budget for upgrade.

When job start on Backup Execs server at 14:00 then I have noticed that on backuped server service Virtual Disk Service is started and stopped after approx 50 minutes. So it takes like  I wrote earlier 50 minutes of trying to get access to VDS service. 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To answer that all backups of data on Windows volumes now do a VSS Snapshot operation irrespective of the AOFO settings as amongst other things, it it is how consistency is maintained within the file system.  Snapshots being specifically linked with AOFO really only applied to much older operating systems (Windows 2000 and earlier)

karol_urbaniak
Level 3

Problem fixed. How?

- register once again VSS in the system,

- I have noticed that someone have saved event viewer log files locally on disk. Plenty of files which in total contains 500GB of data were also compress by using  attribute in the file system. I have zipped the files by external application and remove compress attribute.