cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapshot provider error (0xE00081D3): Not authorized to run an Open File Operation.

David_Gunnells
Level 2
We recently upgraded from Backup Exec 9 to 11d and have started seeing Failed Job Status entries for all of our backups. Looking at the Job History shows:

Error category: Resource ErrorsError: e000fec2 - A failure occurred accessing the SnapShot handle.For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65218

All of the backup jobs are successful. I have looked at the link, specifically at Document ID: 275397, however it indicates that AOFO is the problem. We do not have AOFO installed nor are its options available in the backup job properties.

Having said that, I did find VSP.SYS in c:\winnt\system32\drivers, but it is version 1.3.0.0, created 9-5-2003. Could this be from the previous version of BEX? If so, can the file be renamed/deleted?

Some additional information from the XML joblog:

<Warning Type="snapshot_init_warning"><UMI>V-79-57344-34110</UMI> - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System—State". Advanced Open File Option used: No.</Warning>
<Warning Type="snapshot_init_warning">Snapshot provider error (0xE00081D3): Not authorized to run an Open File Operation.Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.</Warning>

David
6 REPLIES 6

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
If VSP.SYS is simply renamed/deleted, when the server is rebooted, it will blue screen.

To remove AOFO from a remote Windows 2000/2003 Machine:

1. Share out the Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\Raws32 or Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\Agents\Raws 32 Directory on the media server.  

2. On the remote machine, go to Start, Run, type in the path listed above, and press Enter.

3. Double click on the batch file Removeaaaofo.cmd

David_Gunnells
Level 2
Thank you for your help, however, the machine in question is not a remote machine. We have a license for the Remote Agent & don't want to uninstall that. What am I missing or overlooking here?

What is the root cause of receiving that specific error message considering we don't have AOFO installed and the option wasn't used for the backup job?

What version of Backup Exec is that VSP.SYS file from?

Thanks for the help.

Message Edited by David Gunnells on 12-19-2007 09:44 AM

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
What OS is this trying to backup?  If it's a 2003 server I wouldn't worry about the VSP.sys file.  This is because for 2003 server Backup Exec has to take a snapshot of the shadow copy components and system state during the backup.  This is done with VSS (microsoft's snapshot provider).  Check your event logs for errors from VSS or VolSnap. 

David_Gunnells
Level 2
It is a Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2 server. With a single exception, I'm not getting any VSS errors (and VolSnap isn't a source option here).

The Backup Execup error message (Event ID 34113) in the event viewer is less helpful than the info I gave in my original post:

The job failed with the following error: A failure occurred accessing the SnapShot handle.

I saw this same Event ID with the earlier Backup Exec whenever it ran across what it thought was a "corrupted" file. However, the description was:

The job failed with the following error: Corrupt data encountered - See job log for details.

The Job History for this event in version 9.x would list, instead:

a00fe36 - Corrupt data encountered

And in the Job Summary Information it would list:

Corrupt files : 1

However, now we're getting zero corrupt, skipped or files in use.

Any other ideas? Thanks again.

David_Gunnells
Level 2
Bump.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
David,

The only other suggestion I can give you at this time would be to call into support and have one of the technicians take a look at the issue.