Snapshot provider error (0xE0008501):

Tibor_Borzak
Level 3
Hi,

I have :
server side
windows 2003 sp1, Veritas 10.d rev.5629
client side: windows xp sp2 and windows 2003 servers

the job is running ok on the 2003 servers, on one of the xp box I got: Snapshot provider error (0xE0008501): The volume cannot be snapped because it is currently a snapshot target for the Advanced Open File Option (AOFO). Wait for any previous snapshot jobs to complete and run the job again.

comment: previously it was the 9.x agent on the box. I upgraded the client agent to 10.d. Then I got the error that the open file option is not installed. I uninstalled it, and I re-installed the 9.x agent.

I have several xp boxes running the old 9.x agent, working fine with 10.d server.

Any suggestions ?
3 REPLIES 3

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems you have installed backup exec 10d on a Windows 2003 server and the AOFO agent 9.1 on another Windows 2003 server and on Windows XP. Does the error 0xE0008501occur only on the remote Windows 2003 server? Note that the 9.1 agent is not compatible with backup exec 10d, neither the remote agent nor AOFO.

Follow the steps below:
Ensure that the AOFO version is the same as that on the backup exec server

- Refer to the following technotes:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/257796
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273386

Revert with details if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Tibor_Borzak
Level 3
Hi,

Sorry for my late response. I uninstalled the 9.1 agent, rebooted the machine, installed 10d agent (aofo + agent)and reboot. I created a separated backup job for this Win XP host and the backup job reports the following error after finish :

"Backup- xxxxx
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
AOFO: The required module VSPAPI.dll cannot be found. The Advanced Open File Option may not be properly installed. Reinstall this option, restart the computer, and then run the job again. "

Why should I reinstall ON THE SERVER the AOFO option ? It is working fine with other XP hosts ? What could be the problem ?

Thanx

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to try the technotes given in the earlier response.

Thaks,
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.