cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft write errors.

Przemek_Janowsk
Level 2
Hi,

Can you tell me is there any specification how much soft write error can I get before cleaning the drive or maybe my cartridge is damage. I written 800GB date and have 231 soft write errors. Is my drive damage ?? It is IBM LTO-2. Does anyone know what the acceptable amount is for this device?

Regards
1 REPLY 1

Nishant_desai
Level 4
Hi Przemek,
The soft write errors are the number of recoverable write errors encountered since thelast cleaning.If you receive excessive write errors you have to go for the cleaning operation .The specification would be given by the manufacturer.

I want you to perform the following steps.

1)Perform a cleaning operation.Then goto the properties of the drive and on the "Cleaning" tab click
on "Reset Cleaning Statistics".Then perform the backup operation and see if your encountering the same
soft write errors.

2)To further isolate the issue,enter a brand new tape and perform the backup and see if you are encountering the same number of
soft write errors(or if its under acceptable limits specified by the manufacturer).If you continue getting the
same number of errors you need to contact your hardware vendor.

3)For further understanding please refer to the following technote

http://support.veritas.com/docs/229641

Note: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked
‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.