cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software compression ratio with encryption?

fl
Level 4
Hello,

I'm doing software compression with software encryption and according to the job log the best compression ratio I see for Software Compression is 0.6:1 which to me seem like it's doing the reverse of compression and is expanding the files.  Correct me if my understanding of compression ratio is wrong but doesn't a 1:1 ratio mean there is no compression at all and the files are backed up as is?  And a compression ratio of 2:1 means it's compressing the files by 50% and if so then doesn't a compression ratio of 0.5:1 means it expanded the files by 50%?

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Certainly what it looks like

Several people have noticed this, and somewhere (I can't find the reference right now) Symantec suggests not using Compression and Encryption on the same jobs.  I'll keep looking to see if I can find it

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Certainly what it would seem to indicate.

And Symatec say that if you want to use both encryption and compression, you should use SW compression

fl
Level 4
Ken,

I have already read that article and I am using software compression as suggested in the article.

I just think Backup Exec can not handle compression and encryption at the same time no matter what Symantec says.  I know for a fact it's a problem within the Backup Exec software because I can do compression and encryption with no noticable lost in compression ratio in our EMC/Legato Networker software product.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
yeah -

Forgot to mention that you are not the first to complain about this, but Symantec had no good responses, as I recall