cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution to Reason 193 XPDLOShareu.dll is not a valid Win32 application

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

I could not find anyone else with this problem, but I suspect it is a bug in the install since I installed clean (and tried repairing), so I suspect others may run into it. Since it was not easy to solve, I thought I would post this.

Symptoms: Backup Exec 2010 (first edition) running on 64-bit Server 2003 and 64-bit SQL 2008, when opening the "Desktop and Laptop Option" from the BE Tools menu, it asks you for a password, which you enter and then you get the following error, and the application closes when you hit OK.

ERROR MESSAGE (also in the event viewer with an ID of 17750): "Could not load the DLL C:\Program Files\Symantec\DLO\XPDLOShareu.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 193(C:\Program Files\Symantec\DLO\XPDLOShareu.dll is not a valid Win32 application.)."

You will also find that C:\Program Files\Symantec\DLO \XPDLOShareu.dll is 2,138 KB. That is the 32-bit version of the dll. If you have other versions of Backup Exec, I would suspect that the size is similar, and still much smaller than the 64-bit version.

The solution is to go to the install media here: \BE\WinNT\Install\BE32\Install\Media\DLOServe.cab and extract this file by right clicking on it: XPDLOShareu.dll_64.FBF6AB5B_373C_4CD4_B277_E08D4D444E2C

Rename C:\Program Files\Symantec\DLO \XPDLOShareu.dll to XPDLOShareu.OLD and copy your extracted file to the C:\Program Files\Symantec\DLO directory and rename it XPDLOShareu.dll (note that you drop the _64).

It should now work and open fine. I also suspect that this may solve other problems related to 64-bit installations and XPDLOShareu.dll. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

My instance name is MSSQLSERVER. I did not feel the need to add a separate instance, which is really like a new install, since I had a default instance for SQL already there and in use.

I am a one-man company, so I have it all on one server: BE, SQL, everything.

I do not know if they fixed it in the latest two revisions, but even if not, hopefully this will give a clear path to realizing that a person has an issue, and a direct resolution. The install was simply putting the 32-bit version of the dll where the 64-bit one should go. It was very frustrating to figure this out.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Would be interesting to know if Backup Exec 2010 R3 does the same thing - I suspect you might be correct about a small defect in this area as by default Backup Exec installs a 32 bit version of SQL Express 2005 even on on 64 bit server so might accidentally copy the External SQL Stored Procedure Library file as a 32 bit version when it should use the 64 bit version.

Couple of questions as I might try to test this with 2010 R3

1) Did you call your SQL 2008 instance BKUPEXEC or something else?

2) Is the SQL 2008 Instance on the media server or on a separate server?

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

My instance name is MSSQLSERVER. I did not feel the need to add a separate instance, which is really like a new install, since I had a default instance for SQL already there and in use.

I am a one-man company, so I have it all on one server: BE, SQL, everything.

I do not know if they fixed it in the latest two revisions, but even if not, hopefully this will give a clear path to realizing that a person has an issue, and a direct resolution. The install was simply putting the 32-bit version of the dll where the 64-bit one should go. It was very frustrating to figure this out.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

OK I will see if I can get chance to test this as it should install the correct DLL.