cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some files dont have the archive bit reset

Senna_2
Level 3
I am running Backup Exec 12 and am having an issue with Backup Exec resetting the archive bit after a backup to tape job. The job is running under a GFS policy the monthly and weekly jobs are set to Full backups and to reset the archive bit and the daily is set for Incremental and also resets the archive bit.    Let me explain what I am doing to clarify the setup. We use Lightspeed to compress and backup SQL databases to a file share. Once the files are on the file server we use Backup Exec to backup the files to tape and reset the archive bit.   Once the archive bit is flipped we use a script to delete any files older than 2 days.  

I just found some files from June that has been backed up to tape for months but the job is not resetting the archive bit.   Other files in the same folder get the archive bit reset, I checked the properties, security and attributes on the files and the only difference is the archive attribute.
Does anyone have a clue why this would happen?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Archive bit is an OS concept, and all BE does is to trigger the OS to reset the archive bit on full backup. You need to specify the backup type as "full backup.. reset archive bit". The archive bit will be reset once this backup runs, and would remain so, unless some other application sets it again. So, you may want to look for antivirus or any such application, which might be interacting with these files to turn on the archiv bit. So, submit a job, check after job whether the archive bit got reset. Immediately after backup, backup exec should do it. If that does not do it, compare the results with ntbackup.

Just to add, why dont you use SQL Agent of Backup Exec to directly backup the databases, instead of using two way process for backups? Backup Exec SQL Agent will provide complete backup and recovery plan for SQL databases.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Archive bit is an OS concept, and all BE does is to trigger the OS to reset the archive bit on full backup. You need to specify the backup type as "full backup.. reset archive bit". The archive bit will be reset once this backup runs, and would remain so, unless some other application sets it again. So, you may want to look for antivirus or any such application, which might be interacting with these files to turn on the archiv bit. So, submit a job, check after job whether the archive bit got reset. Immediately after backup, backup exec should do it. If that does not do it, compare the results with ntbackup.

Just to add, why dont you use SQL Agent of Backup Exec to directly backup the databases, instead of using two way process for backups? Backup Exec SQL Agent will provide complete backup and recovery plan for SQL databases.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

teiva-boy
Level 6
 BTW, I'm a huge fan if the NTFS Change journal over the archive bit.  

Senna_2
Level 3

I understand that the Archive bit is a Windows function.   What is strange is that these are all .bak files in the same folder and only some of the file have the bit reset by Backup Exec.  I will dig deeper into the files and see if I can find any differences in the files.

As for using the SQL Agent for backing up databases I suggested this when I started but the DBAs did not want to give up control and as management sees it they are higher on the food chain.

Thanks to both of you for your responces,