cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony AIT-5 SDX-1100 Supported Fully?

Andrew_Beechy
Level 2
Hello,

According to HCL's on BEWS for versions 10.1 - 11d Sony's new AIT-5 tape drives are listed as being supported. There is a footnote notation stating the WORM technology is supported as well. After closing a case on a similar issue I have a Support representative telling me that ONLY WORM technology is supported meaning that I will only be able to use this drive and tapes I just purchased once.

Has anyone had any success doing multiple WRITES/OVERWRITES to these drives which are essentially the same AIT technology just with greater capacity? I need to know before I purchase additional drives or send this one back or switch to another backup product that does. There are no knowledge base articles on these yet.

Thanks,
Andy
2 REPLIES 2

STeve_O
Level 5
I think somebody mis-read the HCL.

Your AIT-5 is fully supported. The fotenote state that you can use (AIT 5 WORM) media compared to regulary AIT-5 media. So the question is what tapes did you get along with the drive. If you purchased regular AIT-5 tapes you should be able to read/write to the tapes multiple times.

If you purchased AIT-5 WORM media then yes you write to the tape once and thats it. Think of it as burning to a DVD-R ..write once. WORM = Write Once Read Many.

Andrew_Beechy
Level 2
Yes and that's what I was thinking, considering the source, I thought I needed to confer beyond my own gut instinct before I commit to more of these.