cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space issue on Backup exec

zak2011
Level 6

Hi,

I am quickly running out of space on my Backup server due to the B2D files. Is there a better way to control the disk space issue other than modify the OPP and AP of the daily media set. Currently OPP is set to 6 days and AP is set to 12 days. Is there something i can do about the IMG files for exchange to save space. Pleapldpl

Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Set your B2D  jobs to start as Overwrite and then forget about the append periods.

If you let a B2D get appended to then evey time it appends the overwrite date moves backwards which results in the files not being overwritable when you expect.

Also IMG folders never append, but they sometimes don't get reclaimed if your job is not set to start as Overwrite (so another reason to set this)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver

Set your B2D  jobs to start as Overwrite and then forget about the append periods.

If you let a B2D get appended to then evey time it appends the overwrite date moves backwards which results in the files not being overwritable when you expect.

Also IMG folders never append, but they sometimes don't get reclaimed if your job is not set to start as Overwrite (so another reason to set this)

AmolB

Well setting proper OPP and AP will help you to effectively manage the space issue other then that you 

can configure backup jobs to overwrite instead of  appending.

In BE console, click on Tools->Options-> Media Management-> Select "Use recycable media 

before using a scratch media"

Note: Dedup can help you to save disk space to a great extent but its licensed and requires

good server configuration.

Lesta_G
Level 6

I have found that even with that setting, BE still grows the backup files.

I ended up manually removing he media and related disk files and since then it has stayed static