cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still no backups

Julie_Lawson
Level 3
When the network people installed a new switch in the comm closet to our server room, suddenly my tape backups quit working. There was a lost connection, I had to reset the IP address, reboot...OK, the server is fine, the tape changer works, but the software seems to have a problem recognizing the media.
I'm getting the request for Overwritable media to be inserted, when there is overwritable tapes avail. I've attempted several different slots, jobs, and tapes.
The tapedrive cleans ok, imports and exports, and inventories tapes.
So, what's the problem?
thanks for any ideas.
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Tape Changer physically connected to the media server, or an a SAN?

if you insert a tape, invnentory and the info shows in blue, the job still asks for Overwritable media?

is the at the beginning of the job, or does it write for a while and then ask?

Julie_Lawson
Level 3
The tapechanger is attached to the media server via SCSI cable.
The backup job will show 'QUEUED' in status, and keep asking for Overwritable media, until the job cancels - either by timing out, or manually by user.
It does not write, as it never takes the tape from the slot into the drive. The slot shows the media is overwritable, or appendable.
I have modified the job to append, but that doesn't change the message.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

Only change was the IP address of the Media Server? not the server name or domain name?

Sounds like the driver for the library got corrupted somehow. Have you tried updating the driver?

Julie_Lawson
Level 3
I think that might be the problem. When I went to Device Manager and looked at driver details for the 'unknown media changer', there wasn't any driver.
So, I have installed the latest driver. Do I need to reboot for it to take effect?
thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Try just cycling BackupExec

That should do it, but if not, then a boot will probably be necessary

Julie_Lawson
Level 3
Neither worked. I don't know what to think. Same error after rebooting server.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Did you also restart the tape changer itself ? (turn both off, turn on the tape changer, wait, and then turn on the media server)

Regards
A van der Boom

Julie_Lawson
Level 3
Yes, the changer has been shut down multiple times, along with the server. It seems more like a software issue, since the changer will take a tape for cleaning, and it will export and import tapes just fine. I'm doing that through the software, too, though.
So, it's not making sense to me.