cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly Many Failed Backup Attempts

John_Smith_10
Level 4
Hello all:

We had been running great with the software for a while but then suddenly about a week or two ago we have been getting more and more failed and/or completed with exceptions jobs. I go into the log and many times it will come up with some file it can't access (such as a users Mailbox item) or that it can't initialize OFO. The only thing we have installed is Microsoft's WUS, could this be the problem?

Thanks,

John
5 REPLIES 5

Jason_Reynolds_
Level 4
IS it saying volume not snappable? I had problems with the AOFO no initializing as well. In my case what happened is that Backup Exec didn't clean up the temp file when it was done using it after a job. The next time it saw the temp file there and thought another program might be using it so it didn't delete it and the AOF wouldn't initialize. Rebooting cleans it out.

John_Smith_10
Level 4
No it isn't saying anything like "volume not snappable," and I have rebooted but to no avail. My errors are along the lines of:

"OFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time window for physical volume."

Jason_Reynolds_
Level 4
How many seconds do you have set for the minmum quiet time? The default is 5 seconds. You can set it as low as 3 and it should work. Try dropping it to 3 and that might work.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Jason's suggestion first.

Also ask yourself if anything on this server may be doign more work during backups. You say WUS was just installed, but it doesn't seem like a likely culprit, unless you have it doing a repository sync during backups.

Try the single volume snap option, detailed here:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264464.htm

Are there any virus scanners running during backup? Disabling them may help.

If you paste some more information, such as the names of the various files skipped, we will haev a better idea what may be causing you grief.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hi John!

like the other guys have recommended minimizing the minimum quiet time http://support.veritas.com/docs/258341 will help you resolve the issue.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.