cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion with Solaris backups

Sinner_xyz
Level 5
Certified

We have upgraded from BE 12.5 to BE 2012 and can no longer backup our 3-4 servers running Solaris and redhat,

2 unix servers are VM and we are able to take AVVI backups, but time needed for single file and folder restore is not acceptable.

I am sure not the only admin facing this problem,and would be interesting to know, what other users are doing to overcome this.

Do Symantec or any third party offer a reliable and affordable solution for just 3-4 unix servers?

Netbackup is beyond the reach, and SSR-liunx is not compatible.

Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there isn't anything between NBU or BE that would cater for this. You can try putting in an Idea and with enough votes, it MIGHT be considered for a future version, but there are no guarantees.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there isn't anything between NBU or BE that would cater for this. You can try putting in an Idea and with enough votes, it MIGHT be considered for a future version, but there are no guarantees.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

Thanks!

Sinner_xyz
Level 5
Certified

Thanks Craig, It would have been better to get some ready answer now, then waiting for this Idea to hit approve and Symantec to cook one new.

I am thinking now to setup a redhat server and do rsync unless find a better way out.

teiva-boy
Level 6

There is a NBU starter edition that is not terribly expensive at all, which will fit the bill for you...  I want to say under $5k retail.  So your price would be lower...

However, when you want to upgrade and add options to a "Starter Edtition," Symantec makes up for the discounted price pretty quickly.

The starter will protect 5 clients and comes with 1 NBU media/master server license and a single tape drive license.  It does not come with any DB/App packs or virtual agents.  Those will cost extra.