cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for Xenon processors?

Anders_Retter_s
Level 2
We have just configured two new Win2003 Servers with Xenon processors.
We are currently using Backup Exec 9.1 for our backups.
When I tried to install Remote Agent on our new servers, the installation failed saying the Remote Agent doesnt support 64 bit computers.
When I try to install the 64bit Remote Agent, this installation also fails saying that it doesnt support this type of processor...

Do you have any suggestions?
Does the 10d release support our processors?

For now we have to backup our DBs with SQL Server Backup and a batch script which xcopies the files to a 32 bit system with a Remote Agent installed.
This is not a very impressive backup solution...!
7 REPLIES 7

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Anders,

Veritas has a support document somewhere detailing the fact they do not support a media server on a 64 bit environment.

I am unfamiliar with a Xenon processor- is it x64 compatible? If it is, then it's a bug for the remote agent to at least not install on it.

As for your solution, I have several backups running this way (for other reasons) and Veritas seem to feel this is a very good backup solution for some reason.

Brandon_Hammond
Level 2
Anders,

I am having the same exact problem. Did you find a workaround yet? All the articles i see about 9.1 only state support for itanium 64bit processors. I do see articles stating compatibility for x86 on 10d. Does anyone have 9.1 remote agent running on x86?

Brandon

Anders_Retter_s
Level 2
Hi Brandon,

No, I have not found a workaround other than to xcopy the files to a 32-bit server.
I've also seen articles regarding x86 on 10d. That's why I wanted to know if this is also supported on 9.1 and also: If I decide to upgrade to 10d, I have to get a confirmation that this is supported (Xenon on 10d) first.

John_Warren_2
Level 2
I see no reason why the 9.1 client should not work with X64 since all 32b applications are support except drivers. I don't think the BE Client is a driver. That said has anyone tried it.

If is does not then I ask why has Veritas NOT posted any information about X64 support? Are they going to do the same thing as the way they supported pushing the client to a workstation that has been upgraded with SP2? If so then don't ever expect to see a version that supports X64.

Vertias ignores it's customers by taking over a year to even think about support major release updates. They keep this up and their going to loose customers to another backup solution.

So Moderator, are you going to let this post through?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You can install remote agent on a system running XEON processor.
We suggest you to perform a silent install of the remote agent. Refer to the following TechNote:
How to do a manual/silent install of the VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.x Remote Agent for Windows Servers if the push install does not succeed
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265736

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Brandon_Hammond
Level 2
Deepali,

I have already tried the manual/silent install and it didn't work for me. When you run the setupaa.cmd you get a message stating "Backup Exec installs drivers that are incompatible with the version of windows. For more information, contact VERITAS." You have the options of continue or cancel. Even when you choose continue it just exits the install. Any other ideas?

Brandon

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

1. Backup Exec 9.1 does not support Intel Xeon processors, it supports only the Itanium prcessors, for this please refer to the follwing compatibility list:

Title : VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers - Software Compatibility List (SCL)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/261695

2. In order to backup the Intel Xeon processor you need Backup Exec 10.0 SP2:

Title : 10.0.5520 Hotfix 2 - Extended 64-bit (x64) Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS) (Adds support for remote computers running 64-bit extended chipset Windows operating systems)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278576

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.