cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suppression of Warning Message When Backing up NAS CIFS Share

RSchmaltz
Level 2

Hi -

I've done some searching on the forum and found that BackupExec will fire off an error if it attempts to backup a remote share where an agent is not installed.  I'm running a Synology DS1010+ NAS and I'm backing up a CIFS share and I receive an email stating:

<blockquote>The job completed successfully.  However, the following conditions were encountered:

Could not completely protect remote computers because  the Backup Exec Remote Agent was not  installed.
A snapshot operation required by this job was unsuccessful. Check the job log and the Windows Event Viewer for additional information.</blockquote>

Is there a way to suppress this error message for this job?  I want to suppress it expressly for this job and this error alone.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/345777.htm

mentions SAMBA shares not CIFS, but the workaround is to make sure that you have a RAWS serial installed on the media server

RSchmaltz
Level 2
I do have a "Remote Agent for Windows and NetWare Servers" license installed on my backup server (multiple ones in fact).  I still receive the error since the agent is not installed on the NAS (and cannot be).

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There is no way to disable the warning message about the agent not being installed when performing share level backups.

Also when doing share level backups the jobs should not really have open file technology enabled - which I am guessing is the cause of your snapshot error so you might want to split your jobs into ones that do use remote agents and ones that don't so you can disable open file on the appropriate jobs

RSchmaltz
Level 2
Thanks for the suggestion - the open file technology was not enabled and the jobs are split.  I'm basically only using BE to do Exchange backups and this NAS Share.  It's frustrating that (considering the cost) I don't have more flexibility over the errors I want to see and those I don't. 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In that case I suggest you submit it as an Idea (the ideas tab at the top of these forums is where enhancement ideas should be presented)

If you submit an idea there are voting customers that allow other custinomers to say that they want the same function (or not)