cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 with Dell RD1000, cartridges not being ejected

Cruachan
Level 3
Partner
Installed a couple of 2008 x64 Servers last week (not R2) and also installed BE2010 with these Dell devices.  The backups are running OK, but the cartridge won't eject, it muist be done manually.  I've installed the latest (1.44) version of the Dell RDXmon service and fully patched Backup Exec.

I was under the impression that this issue had been resolved in BE 12.5 post-SP2 but haven't been able to find any information relating to 2010 as yet.  Any advice greatly appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cruachan
Level 3
Partner
Well, I spoke to Symantec and they said it is correct that Media Remove alerts cannot be auto-responded to, but setting the alert to automatically clear should resolve the issue.  Which it has.  I don't really understand it, but it's working now.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Dell has indicated that WMI has been known to prevent the RD1000 from ejecting. To test if WMI is the culprit, run the following command:

taskkill /f /im wmiprvse.exe

If, after running that command the eject completes, then Windows is locking the drive. It is possible to use this as a post-command in Backup Exec as a workaround, but the customer will need to make that decision on their own and live with the potential risks that come with running that command.

Also refer the following http://forum.rdxstorage.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Check the following document  http://support.veritas.com/docs/319462 make sure you have the following hotfix applied Hotfix 318328
have a look of the following document as well
http://support.veritas.com/docs/304615

Cruachan
Level 3
Partner
We're doing the "Best Effort" workaround currently, but it's not ideal.  Hotfix 318328 is not listed as applying to BE 2010, and the second link in your post is to a removed hotfix so it doesn't seem like it's available anymore.

I'm going to try the pre and post scripts of stopping and restarting the RDXmon service tonight, still not ideal but better than the "best effort" solution.

Thanks for the response though!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
 1. According to Dell's "Quick Start Installation: Dell, Power Vault, RD1000 User's Guide" ,  RD1000 must have the Dell RD1000 software installed for it to properly acknowledge the host application's request for eject. ( Refer Document link :  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/stor-sys/RD1000/en/ug/setup.htm ).

2.  If the service software is installed and the service is running,  it does not allow full control to backup exec.
3.  Stop RDXMON service from windows services console to gain full access ( The same can also be attained by creating a Pre and post Script under backup exec for windows , Please refer related documents below).

Cruachan
Level 3
Partner
Thanks, I've added the scripts to the jobs so we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Cruachan
Level 3
Partner

Sadly that didn't work, I still had to do a right-click eject in My Computer and then acknowledge the alert in BE 2010 for the job to complete.  We've got support on these installations, so I think it'll be a call to Symantec next week.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can try the following two things
1. Make sure the Removable storage service is disable
2. Set the aler to respond automatically to the alert

Cruachan
Level 3
Partner
This is Server 2K8, so there's no Removable Storage Service.  According to Document 285824 the Media Remove Alert cannot be auto-responded to. 

Thanks for the suggestions though, I've logged a case with Symantec so I'll post the solution if there is one.

Cruachan
Level 3
Partner
Well, I spoke to Symantec and they said it is correct that Media Remove alerts cannot be auto-responded to, but setting the alert to automatically clear should resolve the issue.  Which it has.  I don't really understand it, but it's working now.

Thanks for your help.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Well Thats is what I meant to Automatically clear the alert !!!! Cheers .