cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapped Quantum Tape Drive, New Unit Not Working

Steve_Thornton
Level 2
I had a bad Quatnum Ultrium LTO 2 tape drive, model CL1001. It ate a tape, and wouldn't eject it; just continually flashed the error light.

I have replaced it with a brand new unit identical to the first as far as I can tell. The only difference is the SCSI ID and the firmware number.

When I restart the computer (Windows Server 2003), Backup Exec can't seem to tell that the device is there. It seems to think it's the old one. It reports the drive is "offline", and if I manually set it to online, my jobs report "no idle tape drive available".

I have reinstalled drivers. No difference.

Any clues?
5 REPLIES 5

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Steve,

From the Devices tab in Backup Exec, right click on the old drive and select delete.  Once deleted, cycle the backup exec services.  The new device should be detected and ready to use.

Steve_Thornton
Level 2
The Delete option is greyed out. I am logged onto the computer as Administrator.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Is there anything to stop you changing the SCSI ID to the same as the last drive? If not, then it might be worth trying that.

Steve_Thornton
Level 2
I'll try that this evening -- I can't bring the server down during the day -- but do you know why "Delete" is greyed out?

Steve_Thornton
Level 2
Huh, maybe I'm an idiot. I hadn't tried stopping the services before. I was just shutting down and restarting the server. However, when I stopped the services, and then restarted them, the new drive magically appeared under devices.

Problem solved. Thanks.