cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from a Network Service Account to a Local Service Account

Level 3
We had originally set up Backup Exec 9.1 to use an account stored on our domain controllers. We tried to simulate a complete disaster and had found out that the service accounts were tied to active directory.

I have changed all of the services to point to a new local account. When the server restarts I have no problems. However if I disconnect the server from the network and reboot I receive an error:

Event Type:Error
Event Source:Service Control Manager
Event Category:None
Event ID:7023
Date:1/24/2005
Time:2:25:47 PM
User:N/A
Computer:BACKUP
Description:
The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service terminated with the following error:
The database specified does not exist.

I have looked for that error in the forum and in the tech support area. All of the data points to password changes and mismatched dll files.

Where do I change the account information to have the services start even if the domain no longer exists?
14 REPLIES 14

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
As you said that you want to use a different logon account as the domain no longer exists, we suggest you to change the service credentials of backup exec services so as to reflect the new local account that you want to set up.

You may refer the following technotes,

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267799.htm

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265051.htm

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254246.htm

Hope this helps.

Level 3
I have applied each of the fixes listed in the previous message.

I am still experiencing the same issue. Please advise.

I believe somehow the database where the catalog information is stored is linked to our active directory. Even after i've used the utility in the first article after a reboot (and removing it from the network) I still get the errors. Is there an explanation on how this works?

Sagar_Kamat_2
Level 6
It appears that backup exec database still points to the active directory even if it no longer exists. This may be a sign of corruption. Please repair the Backup Exec database using the beutility and observe the results.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
When you disconnect the server from the network - and reboot, does the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC still start?

I am just wondering when the server is disconnected from the network - then the Network card becomes disconnected - so the BE device and media service has no way of contacting the BKUPEXEC MSDE instance.
Going that that track, if you just connect the server to a hub to get network connectivity back - does it work?
One of the requirements to running BE is to have either a NIC card, or a virtual NIC card(MS lookback adapter).

Level 3
Connecting to a hub does not help. Also the service you had mentioned starts just fine when booted up while disconnected from the network.

I will try fixing the database.

Varsha
Level 6
Perform following to resolve the issue:

1) Open command prompt and type the following commands

OSQL -E

1>EXEC sp_detach_db BEDB

2>go

1>EXEC sp_attach_db BEDB,

2>N'(Path of data folder)\bedb_dat.mdf',

3>N'(Path of data folder)\bedb_log.ldf'

4>go

Try starting device and media service and verify the results.

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Kindly update us on this issue.

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
Hope, issue is resolved.

Level 3
Sorry, I've been out sick for a couple of weeks. I will try the fixes as soon as i get a chance. I will update this afterwords.

Level 3
I am receiving the following error after typing OSQL -E

SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
ConnectionOpen <>>.

I'm trying this at the root with an administrator account.

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
Kindly refer the following technote and carry out the steps mentioned in the same and revert back with the result.

Title:- In the event viewer, Event ID: 57860 "An error occurred while attempting to log in to the following server... SQL error number: "0011"" is seen when backing up a server with SQL installed.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264616.htm

We hope this helps. Let us know if the problem still exists and revert back with the error message.

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
We presume that the step mentioned above has solved your problem. Let us know if the problem still exists and revert back with the error message.

Level 3
I have applied the dll rename fix. This has allowed me to accomplish what i need to do.

However when I restart the server all of the backup services do not start while disconnected from the network. I am however able to manually start the services and access the backup exec database. Since this will not be an everyday problem this error can be ignored.

I do not have this problem when the server is connected to the network.

Level 3
I have applied the following fix however I needed to do this from a SQL Enterprise Manager. I was unable to get this to work from the command line.

Varsha

Re: Switch from a Network Service Account to a Local Service Account
Posted: Feb 2, 2005 2:07 AM Feb 2, 2005 2:07 AM 377015809 Reply

Perform following to resolve the issue:

1) Open command prompt and type the following commands

OSQL -E

1>EXEC sp_detach_db BEDB

2>go

1>EXEC sp_attach_db BEDB,

2>N'(Path of data folder)\bedb_dat.mdf',

3>N'(Path of data folder)\bedb_log.ldf'

4>go

Try starting device and media service and verify the results.

This has solved the problem.