cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 11d and Quantum Superloader 3

Esca
Level 3
Hi,

I am using symantec backup exec 11d to manage my backup job performing by Quantum Superloader 3. I would like to know how to enable or configure the software auto cleaning. What are the tape loader drivers that are compatible for be 11d?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
As far as I recall there is no way to setup automatic cleaning in Backup Exec.  You can schedule a job to clean the drive on certain days, but other then that there is no automatic cleaning.  If you only want the drive to be cleaned when it needs it then you will need to configure automatic cleaning in the library as the previous poster did.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

furious_trout
Level 2
We had auto clean enabled on our superloader 3 (I asume you have logged on to the loader's gui and enabled it there?) Aad it seems to go a bit crazy with the cleaning, and wore the tape heads out (Quantum swapped the chassis out twice before we figured this out) - so I wouldn't reccomend it, I'd wait till it asks for a clean and put the cleaning media in then.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
As far as I recall there is no way to setup automatic cleaning in Backup Exec.  You can schedule a job to clean the drive on certain days, but other then that there is no automatic cleaning.  If you only want the drive to be cleaned when it needs it then you will need to configure automatic cleaning in the library as the previous poster did.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Joe,

Please re-read my post.  I said there is no way to setup automatic cleaning, which is different from a scheduled cleaning.  An automatic cleaning would be when the drive senses it needs to be cleaned and tells Backup Exec that so the cleaning job runs. To quote my previous post  "You can schedule a job to clean the drive on certain days, but other then that there is no automatic cleaning".

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

@Joe

Ben did not say you could not schedule a cleaning run.  as  matter of fact, he explianed that you COULD do that, he said there is no way to setup automatic cleaning - ie when the "Clean Drive" light comes on, run a clean job.

joe322
Level 2
my apologies...an auto clean (device sensing) would have to be done through the actual device

joe322
Level 2

there is a way to schedule cleaning in backup exec..Here’s how

Open the application (backup exec 11d)
Left click once on the device tab
Right click on the device you want to clean for ex...HP
left click once on clean
a box will pop up it will say "clean robotic library drive properties"
left click once on the scheduling tab on the left

there you can schedule the cleaning job.

of course in order for this to work you have to have a slot designated for cleaning.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
I suggest letting Backup Exec handle the drive cleaning, rather than letting the library handle it.  The user can run a cleaning job whenever desired from BE.