cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 2010 slow perfomance running backups

Stanley_P
Level 3

I have a Windows 2008 r2 standard, running exchange 2010, server holds customer files. I am trying to backup the server to a backup to disk folder. I have tried to a NAS folder and also to a local USB HDD, the backup jobs dont run faster than 100mbs but almost all the time I just get a 40mbs backup speed??? I have updated Windows 2008 to the lastest patches, also I have updated backup exec to latest patch available last week. I had disable AV and nothing changes. I have other customers with the same scenatio running backup exec 12.5 and I get jobs around 800mns to 1200mbs !!! Any ideas ?? please helps because I have been dealing with this for a long time.

Stan

11 REPLIES 11

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

You may need to isolate the issue. Is it slow only while backing up Information store

or other components as well from this server?

Is BE media server same as Exchnage or different one?

Please refer: How to correct slow backup performance and agent initialization problems on fragmented Windows Server Hard Disk Partitions.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH11562

Factors that may impact the backup performance of Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes or Information Store with Backup Exec for Windows Servers.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48396

Be 12.5 does not supports Exch 2010 and not supported to be installed on Win 2008R2.

Stanley_P
Level 3

Thanks for your reply, I am doing some testing right now. I have setup a test backup job going to a local HDD partition and backing up C: first then system state, then shadow volumes ect and messuring speeed. So far I did C: only and got s speed of 684bms going to a local drive, will try C: going to the usb drive.

keep you posted

Thanks

Stan

Stanley_P
Level 3

Vaibehow,

Yes, the BE media is located in the same exchange box, I did exclude before to backup exchange from my selections and test the job to USB hdd and still was slow.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

You may try upgrading to BE 2010R3 if not already done.

Be console -help about and check the version

Be 2010R3 download link:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=93355

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

USB 2?  USB 3?

How fragmented is the disk?

Stanley_P
Level 3

I tested last night backing up to a local drive, only c: and system state after running a disk defragmentation for all drives as well as running live update and I got the same problem of only getting a 59mbps speed. please note that usb is out of the equation and I am using usb 3.0 hdd. I did check the version and says 13.0 ?? is this release 3 ? I couln't find anything that says release 3

I will download from the link you sent me and try again

Thanks

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Does it say 13.0.28xxx or 13.0 revison 5204?

13.0.28xxx is just the BE 2010

13.0 revison 5204 is 2010R3 -this is where you need to be.

Stanley_P
Level 3

says, 13.0 revision 2896

I guess is not release 3

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

teiva-boy
Level 6

You mention USB3.0 HDD, but do you also have a USB3.0 port?  I can't think of any mainstream servers that are shipping with that yet.

Stanley_P
Level 3

I will perform the upgrade, about the usb 3.0, yes the server has usb 2.0 so if the hdd is 3.0 the server speed will just reach 2.0. I have multiple accounts were I use the same HDD but with Symantec System Recovery 2010/2011 and have no problems, backups speed are super fast, my problem is just with backup exec 2010, even some old accounts that have BE 12.5 works fine.

is really frustrating because not matter what I do nothing seems to help, I will keep trying all your recommendations

Thanks all