Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec backup Exec 12.5

bestnawfel
Level 2

Hello Freinds,

Please, i have two problems when using Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 :

1) When i excecute a restore job  i have an error msg : Please insert media 'LTO0000002' into the robotic library by creating an import media job.If the ùedia does not have a bar code, click Options on the import Job Proprties, and select 'Auto-inventory after import iscompleted'

2) I don't have any bar code to use  .

Thank you for your help

6 REPLIES 6

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The restore job is asking for that media because most probably you have selected the data for restore which resides (backed up) on that tape. Ensure that the right backup set if selected for restore and that the tape is made available in the tape drive.

Thanks,

-Sush...

bestnawfel
Level 2

thank you for your feedback ,

I have another question about bar code field which is empty , and i don't know where i can founf this information in excecute a restore job

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you don't have a barcode on the tapes, then BE creates its own labels. You'd need to check your media set to see which set it is in. Then check the date it was created on...

Physically this becomes more of a problem unless you're tracking which tapes were used on which date; in this case you could tie in what I mentioned in the first 2 lines to the tape in your vault/drawer etc.

Once done, you can then put that into the backup device, inventory it, and then try running the restore again.

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Barcode will be used only if your Tape drive supports it as it requires Barcode reader which is present in the tape drive. Also the tape needs to have a Barcode sticker on it.

In normal scenario when Barcoding is not used then that field will remain blank.

Thanks,

-Sush...

bestnawfel
Level 2

thank you for ur feedback CraigV,

I would like to know how BE creates its own labels for each tape? ( see attachement)

Thank you

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you just put a new tape into the library and use it without first labeling it first.  BE will label the tape when it overwrites it.  All tapes MUST have a label.  For each media type, there is a prefix.  In the case of LTO tapes, the prefix is LTO.  The rest of the label is numerical and will increase for each new label.

If you want you own labels on your tape, then you can label them.  Right-click on the slot and select label.  Note that labeling a tape will cause all the contents of  the tape to be lost.

If your library has a barcode reader, you should use barcode labels.  See my article below.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-barcode-labels-why-and-how