Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic Backup Fails with An error occured while retrieving catalog info"

Mr_Windatt
Level 2
"Destination Set
Backup of "\\DC01MF\C:
An error occured while retrieving catalog information.
V-79-57344-2308 - An error occurred while retrieving catalog information."

In trying to write a synthetic backup onto a 20/40 DAT device, I get the above error. I have tried multiple pieces of media, but the error seems to point to the source (DC01MF), not destination as is said in the error!!

I am new to synth. backups so any info would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time setting one up.

At the end of this failed job, 3324 byte are shown as being processed and the tape has been written to.
7 REPLIES 7

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please see: http://support.veritas.com/docs/269633

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Mr_Windatt
Level 2
I took a look at the article you referred to and I have sufficient space available (15 GB) on that backup-to-disk folder. The security is also set ok. Below I have another piece of the error log that might help.
I have my baseline backup as a overwrite, the incremental as an append/or overwrite if needed, and the synthetic as an overwrite job...is that a problem?

An error occured while retrieving catalog information.
V-79-57344-2308 - An error occurred while retrieving catalog information.
V-79-57344-33035 - Error - Mount failed.
Physical Volume Library Drive not found.
V-79-57344-33035 - Unable to acquire device for the specified pool and media

Mr_Windatt
Level 2
In Looking deaper, I found the media referenced was the one I used 2 weeks ago for the synthetic backup...why would the synthetic backup job have need for the media of that time....it should only have need for the 'backup to disk folder' !!

Jeff

Wolfgang_Bruchh
Level 4
Hi, I have the same problem. But all set. Catalogs Partition has +500GB free space. BESA is set to Local System Account. Hence has Full Access to all partitions on that server. Catalog history is set forever. No truncation so far. As I had this error a while ago I unchecked the catalog stuff. I had to run another Baseline Backup and all subsequent incremental and Synhtetic backup were fine for 2 weeks. No all of a sudden the last Friday incremental back behaves as a full and running instead of 200 MB the whole 23 GB thru the 1.5 MBit line. That sucks. Additionally I get a catalog error when I try to run a synthetic backup. Checked DB with BEUTIL and ran DB repiar. Reindexed DB, renamed Catalogs folder and all other well known tricks. Nothing worked.
I guess the ODBC is corrupt and can't access the DB / Catalogs information. That would explain the errors I got and the oversized Incremental backup.

Any idea/fix or SP would be great to get !!!!
Cheers
Wolfgang

Stefan_Olsson_2
Not applicable
Hi
I also have this problem.
I'm trying to work it out with Symantecs Direct Assist but no luck so far.

What we have found out thou is that when I create a new "Test policy" with new B2D folders and make a new Baselinen backup of some files. Then do a couple of incrementals on this the synthetic job runs ok.

A complete Baseline at our site takes about 40 h so we are trying to get it working with the Baseline I already have.

Wolfgang_Bruchh
Level 4
Good Luck, although I don't believe it will work. You might run a new fresh BASELINE.
However, I changed catalog settings: Unchecked “Use storage media-based catalogs”. Then I restarted BE SErvices and tried to catalog all B2D Media. Baseline media and Synthetic media catalog jobs went well, but the incremental ones failed nearly all. Error statement was: Final Error: 0xe00084ca – The data being read from the media is inconsistent. Final Error Category: Backup Media Errors. ( V-79-57344-33994 ).
This is odd as I use three B2D folders on one and the same drive. How can those incrmental backup media get corrupted while the synthetic and baselines are well? The only difference is the setting of media size. I set Baseline and Synthetic to 10GB. Incrmental to 1GB. So I'll increase this as well to see if this has something to do with.

Cheers - Wolfgang

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello Mr Windatt,

Are there any errors in the application and system event logs.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.