cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic Backup taking Longer than Normal Weekly Full

navar_holmes
Level 5

I setup synthetic backups for one of my Server 2008 file servers.

As it is turning out the roll of the last full and the daily incr are is taking longer than a normal Full backup.

I do have other B2D jobs running but these jobs are no different than when the normal full backup was running.

I was hoping that the synthetic weekly would be at least 20% to 40% faster.

Andvody got any ideas on this?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

Hi, this sounds like it is running as it should. see the description from 1048 of the Backup Exec 2012 admin guide

'About the synthetic backup feature

The synthetic backup feature eliminates the need to perform recurring full backups for supported remote resources. The synthetic backup is assembled from a full backup (called a baseline) and subsequent incremental backups.

The resulting synthetic backup then becomes the new baseline. Only incremental backups are required until the next synthetic backup is created. The synthetic backup is as current as the last incremental backup that it contains.

The components of a synthetic backup are as follows:

Baseline backup. The baseline backup is the first full backup to run that is associated with the synthetic backup. The full baseline backup runs one time only, and backs up all of the files on the selected computer when it runs.

Recurring incremental backups.Incremental backup jobs back up the files that change after the baseline backup.

Recurring synthetic backups. Symantec Backup Exec Advanced Disk-based Backup Option

The synthetic backup process combines the data from the baseline backup and the incremental backups to form a synthesized full backup of the selected computer. This synthesized full backup becomes a new baseline backup, whichis combined with subsequent incremental backup sets to form a new synthesized full backup.'

This is the same as explained on Page 879 of the Backup Exec 2010 Admin Guide

teiva-boy
Level 6

If it were ANY other product other than BackupExec.  Your hope that it would be faster, would be true.  However since SYnthetic backups were first introduced, it has never performed well.

NetBackup and it's optimized synthetics, Networker, Commvault, TSM and their incremental forevers...  All perform leaps and bounds better.  But are also leaps and bounds more expensive.