cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic Backups

Todd_Finoch
Level 3
Can anyone tell me or direct me to info on how synthetic backups determine resource files. It states in the documentation that only resource files can be backed up and not database files. How does the synthetic backup determine this?By file extension?
4 REPLIES 4

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Having looked at the Administrator's Guide, my understanding is that you can only back up filesystems using synthetic backup. Where it says you can't backup a database, I think it means using a database agent (such as Exchange or SQL).

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

If a backup selection list contains resources that are not supported, such as databases, and the selection list is associated with a policy that contains the synthetic backup template, the jobs for the synthetic backup will not be created.

Regards
Padmaja

Todd_Finoch
Level 3
Thanks for the replies,but I want to know how it determines if it is a usable resource file. I understand the concept behind the backup. I just want to know how it works specifically. Does it look at file extentions and then determine that it is not a supported resource file or what. Thanks again for the input.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

With Synthetic Backups you cannot backup any databases... There are no specific file extentions that you can exclude from the backup..

Thank You,

Shweta