cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic backup: Incremental jobs sometimes become very large

Christian_Veste
Level 3
Hello,

I have a synthetic backup that behaves strage, if i set it up with a small amount of files (1 GB) there seams to be no big problems. But when i use it on the files we want to use (5069613 files in 790806 directories, 473015172041 bytes) it on the incremental jobs sometimes become very large. If we check for files that has the Archive attribute they are all together 2-3 GB every day, but the incremental jobs become as large as the synthetic jobs are.

Often the incremental job works right after a synthetic job.

Running Windows 2003 SP1, Backup Exec ver 10.1 rev 5629
If you say that i should update to SP1 i would like to have an explanation why since i can only se security updates in it.
22 REPLIES 22

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Are you using the same selection list that you are using for the full job?

Please verify that you are using the archive bit for both the jobs?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Christian_Veste
Level 3
> Hello,
>
>
> Are you using the same selection list that you are
> using for the full job?
>
Yes.
>
> Please verify that you are using the archive bit for
> both the jobs?
>
Im using archive bit for both jobs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
> business days, this post would be marked assumed
> answered and would be moved to answered questions
> pool.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Kindly try recreating the policies...

- Try a small test backup on a backup to disk folder as verify the results..

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Christian_Veste
Level 3
I have recreated the policy with less files in the backup job ( ~1Gb) and they seam to work, at least this far.

Franck_Dohin
Level 3
I also have this problem.

I have a straegy with synthetic and incremental backup.

The incrementals backup often backup files like it was a full backup.

I'm already in sp1, i have done new strategy and new selections, but it didn't solve the problem.

I think there is a real problem with this, because i already saw this problem on the forum.

Please help

Thanks

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

As you have mentioned the Synthetic backup job runs like a full job please verify that the baseline or the priming full backup job is successful and then run the incremental job

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Franck_Dohin
Level 3
My synthetic are OK.

For example
A syntehtic occured on sunday with a size of 60Gb
Monday, the incremental was 26 Mb
Tuesday, the incremental was 17 Gb
Wednesday the incremental was 24 Gb

During the backups of tuesday and wedenesday, it backups files on which archive bit is not set and which exist in the synthetic backup.

So i think there is a real problem with BE

Christian_Veste
Level 3
Baseline job was succesful

Franck_Dohin
Level 3
The last syntehtic act as a baseline backup for he next synthetic.

The synthetic are OK

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Is there any anti-virus that might be resetting the Archive bit.

If yes please stop the Anti-virus and verify the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Franck_Dohin
Level 3
The problem is that files on which archive bit is not set are being backed up !!!

I also try to desactivate the anti-virus, but it didn't work

Christian_Veste
Level 3
We use Trend ServerProtect, and run a script that check if the Archive flag is set. The incremental jobs almost always take backup on all files even thoose that don't have the Archive flag set.

Franck_Dohin
Level 3
Which tool do you use to check the archive flag ??

Christian_Veste
Level 3
Batch file with this command (m: is the drive we backup)
dir m: /A:A /s > findarchive.txt

We schedule it to run before our backup runs.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Could you please update us on the issue?

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Christian_Veste
Level 3
You asked if it could be antivirus that changed the archive bit i answered:

We use Trend ServerProtect, and run a script that check if the Archive flag is set. The incremental jobs almost always take backup on all files even thoose that don't have the Archive flag set.

Now im waiting on an update from you guys.

BTW why can't i see your messages if i press link that is sent to me that someone has written in my post, i have to wait like 2-6 hour before the link gives me the new post.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Christian,

Are you backing up any other Systems with a different OS running on it? Like Windows and Linux together in one job?

If yes, Please split this Job and make a different selectionlist and Rule and jobs for the different OS.

NOTE: Linux Does not have the Archive bit function. So we recommend usingmodified time Backups while Backing up linux.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Christian_Veste
Level 3
No we are only backing up one fileserver that is on a clusternode if that could have anything to do with it.

Franck_Dohin
Level 3
take a look at this : http://support.veritas.com/docs/283831

It seems there is a problem with BackupExec, a hotfix will come soon to correct this bug