cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Builder License after recovering to new hardware platform

itsps
Level 2
Partner

I have a question regarding the scenario when recovering to a new hardware platform after disaster recovery. The question is in regards to the continued use of a Backup Exec 2010 SBS System Builder license on the new platform. Will the application continue to function with the original installed License Keys after re-instalation to the recovered platform? As this is a System Builder license as apposed to Full Retail license is the software/license able to be used on the replacement hardware system?

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Yes the license key should work on a different hardware or a recovered platform

itsps
Level 2
Partner

Thankyou for the answer Rahal. May I ask have you been through this scenario in practice? Is there any document you know of on the symantec website stating this?

I was hoping somebody from Symantec would reply this post, however does seem a bit quiet here on the official Symantec forum.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...people have work to do I guess wink

Just be aware that the forums are a peer-to-peer basis...so queries aren't necessarily picked up by Symantec employees, and are on a best-effort basis for anybody else.

That said, I've hit the support flag for you on this one, and hopefully someone from Symantec can get to your question. Post back with an answer and close this off if they do.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Backup Exec 2010 SBS System Builder is just a license which allows you to backup Exchange Server, SQL Server, and SharePoint Services, and supports single drive library . It also allows you to use continuous disk-based data protection using Backup exec CPS.In short is a license key bundles with different agents . At the moment there isn't any document ,which I am aware of . The SBS license can only be installed on a SBS , so the license key will only work on a SBS platform . So incase if you sbs server crashes . you can use this license key on different sbs server which on a different hardware platform  or you can re-build the server again and use the same license key .