cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Restore fail

Denis_correard
Level 3
In order to create disaster scenario We have purchased a backup server with similar hardware to the main server (HP Prolian ML370).
we have install the same windows and SP than the main server and follow the instruction in the Document ID: 236240.

I have tryed to select "skip if file exists" or "restore over existing files" but in the end I always get :
"A failure occurred restoring because the files cannot be replaced and no alternate location was specified"

when I look deeper I found that the NTDS directory is not restored but SYSVOL is any ideas anyone?

any help would be apreciated
3 REPLIES 3

Jitender_Vinger
Not applicable
Did you preserve the tree ? what is the function of the server ? which O/s & SP level ?

Denis_correard
Level 3
preserve tree: YES

the server is the main DC in the organisation with all master server role (forest and domain alike).

OS is: windows 2003 ans SP1 with all patches

I have found an article about my error: http://support.veritas.com/docs/266614

SO I must restore the complete c: drive first then restore the system state as I understand it. But how can I do that thes will overwride the windows directory. remember that the backup server has not got the same hardware. so if I overwride the files windows will not start. both machine maybe the same model but have a slite difference in hardware( bigger hardisk, more upto date SCSI controler, more upto date main board even if it the same model)

thanks HP.....

So I've tried to select skip file if exeists. Will see and let you know.

denis

Denis_correard
Level 3
wel I sayd I tel you all what happened and gess what. I get a lovely bleu screen of death after the first windows splash screen.

Is what I'm trying to do possible?

I'm going to try to restore c:\ drive first then on the secong restore, do the system state with "skip file if exists" selected.

anyone got any other ideas? please let me know.

thanks
denis