cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State Backup Failure - Resource Error

John_Bielot
Level 3

Hi,

I have a terminal server (Windows 2K, Citrix MetaFrame XP) that suddenly I cannot backup the system state. BENT 10.1d is giving me a resource error. The exact error being logged is -

Final Error: 0xe000847c - An error occurred retreiving System State files.

The system state file could not be backed up.

Final error category: Resource errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33916. 

The kb article isn't very helpful. It points to a lack of disk space, but the server has 20gb free on both of it's drive partitions! BENT is running (for the moment) using a domain administrator account. When I go into BENT and 'test' the resource credentials, they test OK.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the BENT agent, but that didn't make any difference. The other (4) servers backup OK.

I created a backup job where the only thing that I am attempting to backup is the system state, and it fails with the above error.

Can anyone point me to a kb article or something that might help?

Thanks!

John

2 REPLIES 2

barrywohl
Level 2
After seven years of stable backups, about a month ago, backing up the system state on my Windows 2000 Server sp4 terminal services server has been usually failing.

I get the error message as above.  If I try to backup by logging onto the server itself and using NTBACKUP, the system state also fails with the following message:  "Error: You do not have permission to access portions of System State\Registry\software.
Please see the owner or administrator to get permission.
Warning: Unable to open the file \Registry\software - skipped."

Occasionally it works.  When it works, Backup Exec 12.5 also works.  Usually it fails.

Running as local administrator with full permissions or as network administrator with full permissions doesn't help anything.

I hope someone has the solution.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Do you have SEP installed on the server?