cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State Backup fails, BE 2014

rivdog
Level 3

I backup System State on my servers once a week, and about half of them fail every time.  The error message is either:

Final error: 0xe000ff15 - A communications failure has occurred with a System State resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors.

or

Final error: 0xe00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.
Final error category: Resource Errors.

Symantec's solution is to open more ports or make registery changes.  The more ports didn't help, and I'm not eager to make changes in the registery.  I have another backup server on a different domain, and the system state backups never fail on that one, and it is configured exactly the same.

Thanks,

Rivdog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DASFTP
Level 4

RivDog,

I had a similar issue and found out if I uncheck IPv6 in the network connection properties, my system state backups ran fine. Not sure why Backup Exec doesn't work well if IPv6 is checked and not even being used.

DASFTP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

LegAEI
Level 5

Some suggestions:

1. Stagger your backups

2. Manually uninstall the client from the affected servers then re-push from the console

3. Re-create the job

I have the same issue with one of my domain controllers periodcially.

rivdog
Level 3

Thanks LegAEI, I'll try these things.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you've got an AV installed on that server, make sure it isn't blocking beremote.exe. I've had McAfee do that, especially when it came to the System State (BE 2010 R2/R3).

The solution was to put in an exclusion for beremote.exe and this fixed it stopping the RAWS agent service.

Thanks!

rivdog
Level 3

I do have AV (Symantec), but I don't think that's the problem.  The weird thing is I'm backing up regular C: drive files & folders, SQL DB's, etc and getting no errors.  It's only the System State backups that don't work.

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it is worth checking up on.

just report back with an update.

Thanks!

DASFTP
Level 4

RivDog,

I had a similar issue and found out if I uncheck IPv6 in the network connection properties, my system state backups ran fine. Not sure why Backup Exec doesn't work well if IPv6 is checked and not even being used.

DASFTP

rivdog
Level 3

Craig, we excluded the BEremote.exe from AV scan but didn't help.

Thanks

rivdog

rivdog
Level 3

Did this and all system state jobs worked! 

Thanks,

rivdog