cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System state duplicating %SystemRoot% ?

Rick_DeBay
Level 5

If System State and the %SystemRoot% is in the selection list, is there anything that can be excluded from the %SystemRoot% selection?  The System State backup is 1GB and I don't want to duplicate any system files from the Windows system directory.
FWIW single instance and AOFO are both enabled.
4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Rick

Where do you see the %SystemRoot% in the selection list. You cannot exclude anything from the "system state"

Rick_DeBay
Level 5

It's a fancy way to say C:\Windows.  And I'm not excluding anything from the system state, but from the backup of the C:\Windows and C:\ directory.  I want to avoid having duplicate copies of system DLLs and executables.

Rick_DeBay
Level 5
Are these the system files backed up, and can I deselect them so they don't get backed up twice?

Ntoskrnl.exe
Ntkrnlpa.exe
Hal.dll
Win32k.sys
Ntdll.dll
Kernel32.dll
Advapi32.dll
User32.dll
Gdi32.dll
Ntldr
Boot.ini
Ntdetect.com
Ntbootdd.sys

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Although you might get some duplication of files, typically most things backed up as part of the System State or Shadow Copy Components are automatically excluded from flat file backups via the drive letter using a process known as Active File Exclusion - this process also stops things like the swap files (and if present database files that should use a specific agent) being backed up as well.

Because of this I would not expect you to gain that much back on your total backup size by trying to locate individual items to exclude.

Just my 2p