cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System state restore fails

Nik_Rushworth
Level 2
Hi
we are trying to restore a server. When we restore only the data, the backup completes and the server reboots ok without a problem.
When we restore the data and system state, the backup completes succesfully but upon reboot the server gets to the progress bar along the bottom and then reboots itself constantly (we eventually have to power it off).
The same problem occurrs if we only restore the system state.
When we backup the system state there are no problems and the backup verifies ok, so it seems that the backup is fine. We have backed up and restored from disk, all with the same issues.

Please help.
4 REPLIES 4

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Are you restoring to identical hardware?

If so, try booting in safe mode. If not, well, that depends how different the hardware is.

Nik_Rushworth
Level 2
We have actually tried a test restore, with System State and data, to exactly the same server. Obviously because its the same server, its identical hardware.
This really is strange, as we have never experienced anything like this before.

Help needed!!!!

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

The system that you are restoring is it a Domain controller.
if yes then are you restoring through Directory services restore mode please see the technote below to help you further:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/236661

Also at which point does it reboot?

Also as per the previous reply please boot in safe mode and then verify

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Chris_Randall_2
Level 2
I am having the same issue. When I try and perform a restore of our system state the restore seems to run correctly but when I do the restart it hangs at the progress bar when Windows is starting. I have tried to do the restore in Directory Services Restore mode, I have tried to perform a non-authorative and an authorative restore, I have followed all the steps in many different articles I have found and I am still no further ahead then when I started. The machine I am restoring to is an identical machine. This is our server and I am needing to get it back up and running ASAP as I have already been down for 2 days. I am at a complete loss as to what to do to get it to work other than manually recreating all my user accounts and hopefully using Exmerge to import in the restored mailboxes. If anyone knows of any thing I can do to avoid this step please let me know as soon as possible. I would much rather do this via my backup tapes than recreate my entire domain structure. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.