cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tandberg Loader LTO5 HP Ultrium Drive

jwork
Level 3

Hi People,

we added to our Backup Exec 2012 a Tandberg Storageloader 1U Autoloader with a HP Ultrium 5 SCSI Drive. The loader appears under Windows as Tandberg Data StorageLoader\StorageLibrary without any sign of a problem.
In BackupExec 2012 apears only the Drive and not the loader with his 8 slots. But without the detect of the slots and the loader we cant configure the Backup to tape.
I am just testet to move a tape into the drive and running a inventory job. If i do this Backup Exec find the tape in the drive. If i move the tape back to the slot the tape disappear in the drive under Backup exec.
Under the tape details, in backup Exec, is shown the right drive.
Backup Exec is installed on a Windows 2012 R1 SP1 Server.

So why doenst appear the loader and the slots in Backup Exec?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jwork
Level 3

This isnt a Problem of Backup Exec. The Problem is between the Tandberg Storageloader and the Windows. Only LTO5 and LTO6 Tandberg StorageLoader are involved in this problem. The Drive of this loader has problem with the current Firmware when they are connected to a Adaptec 1045 Controller. With the previews Firmware of the Drive all will run.

I've got this Information from the Tandberg Support.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello,

Backup Exec 2012 (till today) cannot be installed as a Media Server (Backup Exec Server) on a Windows Server 2012. You need to install an Agent for Windows(AWS). Refer to the Software Compatibility List of Backup Exec 2012: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581

This functionality is added in Backup Exec 2014 which currently is in the Beta Testing phase(should be released soon). 

Edit: Nevertheless, to find a slight possibility of making it work(since you got Backup Exec 2012 installed on a Windows Server 2012), you might want to re-install Symantec Drivers using tapeinst.exe(in compatibility mode). Please refer to the following link: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO22788

jwork
Level 3

Hello,

my fault the Server where Backup Exec 2012 is running is a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Server. Sorry for this wrong information.

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

No problem, please run tapeinst.exe again and install the drivers. 

You may want to refer to the following link: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

jwork
Level 3

Hello,

i run that severaltime before opened this case. Ran it all the the from the Admin Console, and restartet around 2 times the Server after the install.

I have checked you link and the option there here is the result:

- Robotic Library Support is enabled

- The default driver, und Device Management, is the driver from Symantec

Here are the information from the tapeinst command, its in german but maybe it help:
Bandgeräte gefunden
Namen von Plug & Play-Bandgeräten gefunden
Hardware-ID = SCSI\SequentialHP______Ultrium_5-SCSI__Z61U
Instanzen eines IDE-Plug & Play-Geräts gefunden
Instanzen eines SCSI-Plug & Play-Geräts gefunden
Symantec-Gerätetreiber gefunden
Hardware-Scan abgeschlossen

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Make sure that Windows is able to see both the tape drive AND the tape library as two separate entries in device manager.  If Windows cannot see it, then BE cannot see it.

This may help:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

jwork
Level 3

This isnt a Problem of Backup Exec. The Problem is between the Tandberg Storageloader and the Windows. Only LTO5 and LTO6 Tandberg StorageLoader are involved in this problem. The Drive of this loader has problem with the current Firmware when they are connected to a Adaptec 1045 Controller. With the previews Firmware of the Drive all will run.

I've got this Information from the Tandberg Support.

DerLa80
Level 2
Partner

Hi,

i even got the same problem in this environment with Adapted and Tandberg.
Could you please let me know where to get this previous firmware?

Many thanks to you.

Kind regards
Lars

jwork
Level 3

Hello, i've got the file from Tandberg. Its attached to this answer.

DerLa80
Level 2
Partner

Thank you for providing the Firmware.
But sorry that i have to ask how to upgrade the drive-firmware without getting access to the loader with TDTool? Or is the upgrade possible via Web-Interface?

DerLa80
Level 2
Partner

Ups, sorry.

Just trying the TDTool in Admin-Mode and it works. :)