cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Catalog operation time?

Dennis_Stratman
Level 4
How long should it typically take to create a catalog of an older tape? BE10 SP1 SDLT320 tape on an external Quantum SDLT320 tape drive.
9 REPLIES 9

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

It wouldnt be possible to specify the exact time,however it would depend on your environment and databacked up.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Dennis_Stratman
Level 4
If the backup tape held 200GB from 10 different servers, would it normally take over 2 hours to run a catalog job?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

It depends upon the size of the tape.

Also verify that you have deselected an option "Use storage media based catalogs" during the catalog operation.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I don't know your specific details, but for us to catalog a 110GB backup of 5 servers from an LTO2 tape takes about 10 minutes.

Dennis_Stratman
Level 4
I attempted to run the catalog process two times but had to abort because it ran too long so I started it again the first thing in the morning on Friday and let it run all day. It ran for 4 hour :17 minutes on an SDLT320 tape on 141GB from 10+ servers. This seems exceptionally long to me; is it? What's even more maddening is that I don't see the catalog it supposedly created in the "Restore" tab. I don't see any catalogs at all.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Stop & Start the BE services, then look at the Restore tab again.

The time it takes to catalog any given backup family is not really dependent on the size of the backup- but rather the number of resources, directories, and files being backed up, and the number of appended backups on the tape(s).

Dennis_Stratman
Level 4
I restarted all of the BE services and still have no catalogs displayed. What is the catalog file name syntax?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Try stopping the BackupExec services, then rename the \Catalogs dir (to \Catalogs.Sav for example)

Restart the services and try cataloging that old tape again.

If it finally succeeds, shut down the services again, copy the resulting XML file to the renamed directory and rename the directory back to \Catalogs

Then restart BackupExec and see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/272886.htm to force BackupExec to reindex the catalog

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

A catalog job can take time longer than a backup job, or sometimes it could be faster. The speed of the catalog operation depends on many factors like, Hardware, drivers, the data on the media. A catalog job will reference EVERY file on a tape that was backed up. You can
1. Upgrade the firmware of the drive
2. Upgrade the drivers. Are you using the Veritas drivers ?

You may like to refer to the below mentioned technote :

What is the "Use storage media-based catalogs" option in Backup Exec and what are the effects of clearing this check box?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/200962

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.