cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

w23S, BEWS 10.1, ADIC Faststor 2, unknown media

Erwin_Bartsch
Level 3
Hello,

I have newly installed an ADIC Faststor 2 (LTO 2) Changer (in Device Manager correct shown as "HP LTO Ultrium-2 Drive") over Adaptec 29160 U-160 Controller and under MS Win 2003 Server SP1 and BEWS 10.1 Bld. 5629.

The "Changer initialize" job was made successfully. But in the BEWS section "Device / Slots" I only can see (and empty slots). The barcode numbers of the inserted media are shown correctly. The cleaning media also appears correct in slot 8.

The "Import" job (including "Inventure") fails because the Inventure process results in the error "no compatible medium" (or so; it's a translation of a German installation of BEWS).

Why can BEWS not import/inventure the media correctly?

Many thanks for your hints.
5 REPLIES 5

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
-Do you have bar code rules enabled on the device and in backup exec? Also check in the hardware document if the tapes are compatible with your device.
-Upgrade the drivers and firmware.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Erwin_Bartsch
Level 3
Hello,
yes, bar code rules are enabled and the LTO 2 cartridges (200/400GB) are compatible with the ADIC changer. In the section "Device" of BEWS I can see the following in the device tree:
-
__- Changer
____- ADIC Faststor 2
______- HP 1
______- Slots

On the properties page of "HP 1" / RegCard "Mediatypes" there are listed LTO-10, LTO-30, LTO-50, LTO-100 and LTO through LTO . Represents anyone of them a LTO 2 cartridge with 200/400GB? I doesn't know! What means LTO through LTO ? And why doesn't exist an entry called "LTO 2" or so?

In the "Options" dialog of BEWS under "Setup / Barcode Rules" there exists a medaitype called "LTO" (without a number). But this entry doesn't exist in the Mediatypes listing of the properties page of "HP 1" (see above).

Do you have any further suggestions?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Erwin,

Check from your hardware vendor if the library supports bar code rules. If it doesn't , then from the tab Devices- right click library- properties- configuration', uncheck the option 'enable bar code rules'.

Run an Inventory. Also remove the bar code rules from the library. Refer to the following technote:

The error "0xA000821 - Library Error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library" occurs when an inventory is run against the robotic library.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258269

Revert if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Erwin_Bartsch
Level 3
Hello once again,

the library already has a barcode reader inside. Should it so support bar code rules too? Or do you mean a further feature the library should support?

I've now unchecked the option 'enable bar code rules' and BEWS accept all tapes. I was able to make a little test backup.

Is this now only a problem of the ADIC library? I will also speak with the ADIC support but I am also interesting in your opinion. This customer cannot backup his data since one month (christmas and so on :-() and so I am interesting in a quick solution -- the customer too ;)

Many thanks for your suggestions.
Regards.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

If the bar code rule is enabled then you will have to configure it.

Please refer the following technote:

How to enable a bar code label rule and configure it for the tape device

http://support.veritas.com/docs/259444

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.