cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Will Not Eject

Ashley_Ryder
Level 2
I have a Dell PowerEdge server with SBS 2003. Recently after backup jobs complete, tapes would not come out unless the server was restarted. I have been in touch with Dell and they gave me a diagnostic tool to try and make the tape eject. It succeeded which means this is not a hardware issue. They have told me it is a problem with the software. What do you suggest short of reinstalling BE 9.1?
6 REPLIES 6

Milouse
Level 4
Employee Accredited
Hi Ashley,

You're using a Dell tape device, look at this:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264273

If it's ocnfirmed by Event logs, make sure you load latest Dell drivers for both Robotic library and Tape drive (recommended for 2003 OS).

Also, check for SCSI timeouts in Event logs. Remember you need to delete and create a new backup job for the changes to take effect.

Hope this helps.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

With reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ashley_Ryder
Level 2
There is nothing in the event logs at all that suggest why it is failing.

I have tried restarting the server, creating a new job and restarting the Backup Exec services but it doesn't appear to have made any difference.

I have also checked that the latest drivers are on there.

I think I may have to resort to calling Dekll and getting an engineer out? They insist it is a problem with Backup Exec, as they gave me a diagnostic tool which worked. I am reluctant to completely reinstall Backup Exec, but is this my only option?

Alan_Foley
Level 4
Ashley,
You don't state exactly what kind of tape drive you are using. The autoloader offerings from Dell often won't automatically eject the tape, you have do unlock the tape drive in BE, then use the tape loader menu to export the tape, import the replacement tape, then go back into BE and lock the tape drive to control it with BE, at least that is how it works with the PV-122T unit. If it is a single tape drive then you might be able to use the BEMCMD process to eject the tape.
Dell can right the utility to directly access the tape unit, BE doesn't always offer that kind of control due to the drivers used.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if the above mentioned solutions have been helpful. If the problem persists, do revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ashley_Ryder
Level 2
I tried those things but it didn't make any difference. In the end I got the drive replaced.

Thanks for your help though.