cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape backups hang on "Loading Media" since installing 7170

Barbara_Murrtau
Level 3
Since installing 7170 and Hot Fix 3 a couple of days ago, in the hope of fixing a GRT duplicate-to-tape problem, none of my Exchange tape backups work -- the drive goes offline and the duplicate job  (GRT or non-GRT job) hangs on "Loading Media."  Backup to disk works fine.   Even cleaning jobs hang.   We have Windows 2003 Server and Exchange 2003 Server.  I am on endless hold to Symantec and was hoping I might get a quicker answer here.
2 REPLIES 2

Barbara_Murrtau
Level 3
P.S.  I wish they'd change the hold music, or at least add to the existing music so that it plays longer before repeating itself.  It is driving me crazy.

Barbara_Murrtau
Level 3
I finally got through to a technician, who told me to make the SCSI ID of the tape changer lower than that of the tape drive, and not 0 or 1.  We did this, but it did not fix the problem.  Finally, my boss remember a similar situation we had with our other robotic library a few years ago that a registry change had fixed -- see Symantec article 255502.  We searched the registry for "robotic" and found two instances of a key labeled "Enable Release Robotic Library Tape Device" that had a value of 0.  We changed the value to 1 and now it's inventorying away just fine, which it wouldn't do before.   It seems that the new revision or Hot Fix 3 added this key and gave it a value of 0.  My ticket number is 311542811 if Symantec wants to take note.  I wonder if anybody else has encountered this.