cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape restore after tape back up server rebuild

newtt13
Not applicable
Our old system utilized tape backups with Veritas backup exec 9.1. Recently, I had to rebuild the server that back up exec was installed on.  Now with our new server load we are using Symanted Backup exec 11d. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to access the data stored on our old backups. The tape library has been installed and configured and backup exec recognizes the old tape library we were using. However, the backup exec cannot read any data off the tapes. Under the Devices tab in back up exec and robotic libraries, I can see all the tapes loaded in the Dell Powervault 122t library, but all devices register as unknown media. I was thinking that running an inventory would scan the tapes for the media catalog on the tapes, but when I review the job monitor the job status reads as Ready; No idle devices are available. The data must be on the tapes that I have, but back up exec cannot access anything on the tape. Is there a procedure that I must undergo to access the data on my tapes or is it a loss?
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

When you insert the tapes into the library, you need to inventory each slot.

The first time you mount a tape in the new system you need to catalog the tape

After that you should be able to restore from them