cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Remote Agent for Windows Systems is not installed on any computers... but it is?

elee532
Level 3

When I run the backup wizard, the "A remote Windows computer" option is grayed out with the message that "The Remote Agent for Windows Systems is not installed on any computers." Similarly, if I go into the selections list, the remote computers do not show up under Favorite Resources or User Defined Selections.

The Tools > Install Agents and Media Servers menu shows all of my remote computers, and even successfully installs updates.

Existing jobs that I have setup to backup data from remote computers works fine. Problem is, I can't add new jobs or make changes to existing jobs because the remote computers don't show up in the list of resources.

Thanks in advance for any help!

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the remote agent installed  and is the service running on the remote server?

If the service is up and running then check the publishing tab of the remote agent utility if it shows

the media server name, Also check if port 10000 is occupied by beremote.exe

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you tried adding the remote computers under Favourite resources?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO11796

Sush---
Level 6

What is the version of Backup Exec that you are using?

Also have you tried adding the remote servers to User Defined Selection?

And What if you try to expand Domains tab and check if the remote servers are seen or not...

Thanks,

-Sush...

elee532
Level 3
  1. The Remote Agent is installed and the following services are running: Backup Exec Error Recording Service and Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems.
  2. The publishing tab of the remote agent utility shows the following media servers: Servername, Servername.domain.local, and IP address of media server. Is there any problem with the media server being listed three different ways? This reminds me, we recently added a second NIC to the media server. This IP address of this new NIC is not listed on the publishing tab. Should it be?
  3. I did try adding the remote computers under Favorite resources. It says it was successful, but then the remote computer never shows up in the list (I waited almost a full day now).
  4. I am running Backup Exec 2010 R3.
  5. How do I check if port 10000 is occupied by beremote.exe?  shows ssssho
  6. If I expand the Domains list, the remote computers DO show up. I guess this is equivalent to what I would get via the Favorite Resources or User-defined Selections tabs, correct?

Thanks for all the speedy replies!

Sush---
Level 6

I think what is you are probably facing is the Known issue with BE 2010 R3

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH168154

As per the technote

Workaround:

Select the remote servers from other nodes in selection list like Domains or User Defined Selections.

Check this link in the Known Issue tab too

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/issues/remote-servers-do-not-show-under-favorite-resources-b...

Thanks,

-Sush...

elee532
Level 3

Thank you!