cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Utility jobs in Backup Exec will not run until the server is paused/unpaused in the Backup Exec console.

dlogsdon
Level 2
This is a known issue as referenced in article: http://support.veritas.com/docs/308627 .

I wanted to know if anyone has any word on a fix or patch for this yet?  This is becoming a problem for me as my server "pauses" itself every night as my backups are running....I'm effectively not able to run my backups at night cuz they just hang.

Hoping someone knows if Symantec has a fix yet.

Thanks.

Diane
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
More of a band-aid  than a fix, but you could run BESTOP and BESTART from a CMD file scheduled with Task Scheduler every night before the first job is scheduled to start

chicojrman
Level 6
You may lose your selection lists, history, etc, but its faster than re-installing.

Open BEUtility in the backup exec directory.
Click ALL MEDIA SERVERS
Right click on your backup server and select DUMP DATABASE
Right click on your backup server and select RECOVER DATABASE
Select the last option, Dump database and load from base.

This will give you a clean database.  This should fix the problems.

If you care to try you can attempt recovery of your job history, selection lists, etc by:

(still in beutility - must have already completed above steps)
Select the middle option, Dump database and Recover from backup.
Once this is done select repair database
The last step: Repair database indices.

You should then be able to go into Backup Exec and all should be normal.  If not, you need to dump database and load from Base.  You will then need to re-create all your jobs and if you need to restore you must catalog your tapes.

dlogsdon
Level 2

Wow, this sounds awfully destructive...not sure I want to destroy basically my whole config to resolve this problem.  This is the best solution Symantec has come up with so far?

Diane

You may lose your selection lists, history, etc, but its faster than re-installing.

Open BEUtility in the backup exec directory.
Click ALL MEDIA SERVERS
Right click on your backup server and select DUMP DATABASE
Select the last option, Dump database and load from base.

This will give you a clean database.  This should fix the problems.

If you care to try you can attempt recovery of your job history, selection lists, etc by:

(still in beutility - must have already completed above steps)
Select the middle option, Dump database and Recover from backup.
Once this is done select repair database
The last step: Repair database indices.

You should then be able to go into Backup Exec and all should be normal.  If not, you need to dump database and load from Base.  You will then need to re-create all your jobs and if you need to restore you must catalog your tapes.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
"This is the best solution Symantec has come up with so far?"Actually the Symantec workaround was the one posted in the technote. The solution that chicojrman posted is not something I would recommend doing as it may not do anything to help the problem. If the issue is really becoming a problem I would suggest calling into support to have one of our engineers look at the issue to see if we can find out exactly what is causing the problem.

dlogsdon
Level 2
Ben L.   Is there a way to automate the workaround posted by Symantec (pause/un-pause the server)?  The pausing of the server is occurring only at night when my backups kickoff, it NEVER occurs when I'm running the jobs manually during the day.  It seems there may be a correlation with BUEX maintenance, but I'm not sure since I've not timed it yet. 

I will be calling Symantec, but seriously, that could take hours or even days (or longer) to figure a real root cause and solution.  I need to get my backups working every night until that is worked out.

TIA.

Diane

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Ben L.   Is there a way to automate the workaround posted by Symantec (pause/un-pause the server)?  The pausing of the server is occurring only at night when my backups kickoff, it NEVER occurs when I'm running the jobs manually during the day.  It seems there may be a correlation with BUEX maintenance, but I'm not sure since I've not timed it yet. 

I will be calling Symantec, but seriously, that could take hours or even days (or longer) to figure a real root cause and solution.  I need to get my backups working every night until that is worked out.

TIA.

Diane

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You can use BEMCMD to pause/unpause the server, but if it happens during a scheduled backup, I have no idea how you would call it

ken