cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The backup storage device has failed.

Jean-Louis_Kami
Level 3
Hello All,

Over the last 3 weeks I have been receiving an error randomly around 2 or 3 times per week. The error message from the job log says,

Verify- \\SERVERNAME\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group Storage device "REV" reported an error on a request to read data from media.
Error reported:
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
V-79-57344-33992 - The backup storage device has failed.

I know this error is pointing to the backup device, and we have attempted updating the software and firmware for the Rev 35Gb Sata drive. We have also tried formatting the tapes before the backups. I'll just note aswell that it is regarded as a backup to removable disk as opposed to the normal storage device.

The backup completes knowingly by the size of the backup but seems to fail on verify.

I have searched quite a bit on the net with no preoper results. There were a couple knowledge base articles with the same error message but the explanation was very general and non specific.

If there is any information anyone would like to know please ask away.

Thanks in advance.
1 REPLY 1

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Do you receive any events in the event logs?

Kindly refer the following Document

Backups fail with "Error reported: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/280011

Thank You,

Shweta