cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The data being read from the media is inconsistent during Critical Restore job

Geoff_2
Level 2
During a critical restore I get the following error:
The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

We have cleaned the tape drive and this has not helped.  I have looked in the forums and it seems to be a common problem - do Symantec have a fix?  If not please let me know ASAP and I will have to do something else, as this is now a real issue for us (as most restore jobs are!).

Additional information
Another database on the same tape restored without any issues - so its not the tape or drive or drivers, as far as I can tell.

The error occurs at the same point in the restore (about 85%).

Full Error Details:
An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in SEAGATE 1.
V-79-57344-33994 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

V-79-57344-33938 -
An error occurred on a query to database t_qlpdat.
V-79-57344-33938 - RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

3 REPLIES 3

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Geoff,

The error you have described could be caused by corruption within the Backup Exec database. However, it's unlikely since you mention that other databases on the same tape restore correctly. Add in the mention that the restore consistently fails at the same point on the tape, it appears to be corrupt piece of media. One way to check this would be to run a Verify operation against the backup job you are trying to restore from. If there is corruption on the tape media, it will (or should) generate checksum errors. Also, check the System Event log for any event ID 5, 7, 9, 11, or 15 errors. These can be caused by fauly drivers, firmware or hardware, depending on the source of said errors.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Greg

Geoff_2
Level 2
Thanks.
The tapes we are (Fuji) using have a lifetime guarantee, but how often should we be replacing them?  They have been in rotation for about 3 years (each tape used once a month).

We will check for errors with the Verify option.

Many thanks for your help.

Geoff

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
I replace my tapes every 50 backups.   Tapes are cheaper than my time resolving problems restoring from them.    Do you retension before each backup?  This can help.   I would try a new tape and see if it recreates the problem.   How often do you clean your tape drive?    I usually do it every 50 hours of use.   Maybe clean the drive and use a new tape and report on what happens.