cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The selected Transport mode is unsupported

mwatson536
Level 3

So we are backing up VMware VM's using Backup Exec 2012 all SP's installed all patches installed.  This was working fine until last month now we can only back up using 'NBD' transport not 'SAN'.  When I look at the drives in windows disk manager they all show up as i.e Disk 6 Basic 125GB Offline.

We have removed the backup server from the disk group and readded it some how it seems the disks all got initilized by windows and a signature file was writen.  Anyone know how to fix this by chance?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

It maybe that the Backup Exec temp folder needs cleaning out. Try stopping the Backup Exec services
and then deleting the contents of the VMWare Temp folder: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\VMwareTemp
Restart the Backup Exec service

teiva-boy
Level 6

Writing a disk signature to the VMFS volume is bad...  You may have just lost all of your data for VMware.

The disk operations should have all been done via diskpart initially, and the signature writing disabled.  e.g. automount disable and automount scrub

Vmwrae can assist you possibly, and there are other how-to's on how to get your VMFS volumes back if you made this mistake.

e.g. https://communities.vmware.com/thread/281006

Good luck.  

mwatson536
Level 3

Ok I am not being clear here and that is my fault. 

First I have tried the delete everything in the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\VMwareTemp trick and did not find anything in that folder to delete.

Second the VM's are all working fine no issue there so lets forget about the drives.  The Issue is that backups were going over the SAN and no won't.  Nothing on the server has changed except for the fact that the lun's the VM's reside on are not showing up in Disk manager, as offline and or online.  No Drive letter assigned to them.  We have removed the server from the group and readded it to the group. Still no SAN only NBD.

I am trying to work out how Backupexec just stops wanting to usa the SAN or am I missing something?

Thanks

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try reconfiguring per this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH155831